Driving Journal

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
senwar

Post by senwar »

I use this quite regularly myself to keep track of business mileage. However I came across another use this week when the car was with the dealer for a couple of days.

I dropped the car off Tuesday morning at 8am as requested. Left it in the car park. Thought nothing else of it until I received a car is unlocked message from the App just before 15:00 yesterday.

Collected my car last night and wasn’t exactly thrilled with what they said - couldn’t hear rattle, brake noise was auto handbrake (it’s not), and everything else had been sorted by a software update including the persistent fan.

Anyway checked the journal last night and the only time the car moved was between 14:42-14:52. Ok that’s a test run I suppose. However do Volvo have an option to overwrite the journal or not track? As if not my car sat in the car park from 8am Tuesday until 14:42 yesterday and only had a software update. I can’t even double check that as don’t know the versions.

If the journal is right I’ll be taking it up with them so want to be sure. To have my car from 8am (their request) and not do anything for 30+ hours isn’t acceptable.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Interesting one.

I wonder whether there might be a minimum distance that needs to be done before a log is made. Perhaps short trips (10's of metres) say between dealer car park and workshop just don't register?

If longer distances, and then Volvo delete I would expect to see some differences in mileages between what is in the log and what is on the driver display.

Download the csv/excel file and see if there are any gaps in the closing and starting accumulated mileage.

But my gut feel is that it doesn't log very short distances. Easy to test if you are minded to do so.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I wear a garmin watch, so when mine's been at the dealer I know when it's been unlocked/locked by the notification through to my watch :) I can't recall/didn't check the journal for that - will see if I can remember what day it was and check
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

So - they picked it up from me and drove it to somewhere a street or two away from the dealer, 5hrs later they drove it to dealer, an hour after that they drove it home to me. If it was moved about whilst in the dealer, there's no records for that.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
senwar

Post by senwar »

Thanks all. I may ask the question of them to be honest. Just for interest (initially).

Didn’t realise could set Garmin watch up to work with the app. I’ve got a vivoactive 3 so will have a look.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

It registered 10m or so it went from the front car park to the garage at my dealer's. Doors unlocked and windows down for its 3-months service and software update. It then registered the move back to the car park - so it does record very short journeys, at least on my setup (default).
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

xc40fun wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 pm It registered 10m or so it went from the front car park to the garage at my dealer's. Doors unlocked and windows down for its 3-months service and software update. It then registered the move back to the car park - so it does record very short journeys, at least on my setup (default).
Sounds like there might be a competition here for the shortest distance registered :D

On my 3 month check the car travelled at least 30 metres - twice - I saw it. Neither "journey" registered.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

senwar wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm Thanks all. I may ask the question of them to be honest. Just for interest (initially).

Didn’t realise could set Garmin watch up to work with the app. I’ve got a vivoactive 3 so will have a look.
Same as mine :) First weekend with the XC40, I'd set off on MTB ride and it notified me that I'd left it unlocked :p OOPS
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020