Polestar

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shaenei
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by Shaenei » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm

I'd be more interested to know if it helps or solves the gear selector issue when at lower speeds that's been reported by the media. Didn't see it on my test drive but mainly drove on 60+ roads.
On order: XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Initial forecast: May 18
Current forecast: Sept 18

Current Car: 2015 Sporty Blue Honda Civic Type R GT


User avatar
pjm007
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by pjm007 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Shaenei wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm
I'd be more interested to know if it helps or solves the gear selector issue when at lower speeds that's been reported by the media. Didn't see it on my test drive but mainly drove on 60+ roads.
Haven’t noticed any gear selector issues myself. Suspect picky media types with nothing bad to write about. Will see if I can detect anything different though.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20". On the road since March 9th. Now Polestarred. :)


User avatar
pjm007
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by pjm007 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Installed this morning. 20 mile trip back from dealer. Tried different drive modes, particularly trying a 50-70 acceleration.

Main finding (obviously I suppose) was a very significant difference in throttle response. I had tried a 50-70 push (I don’t usually when driving normally) on the way to the dealer to check the effect for comparison. There was quite a lag before it picked up. Now hardly any noticeable lag. Same for other tests at lower speeds.

Another way this improvement is helpful is when using adaptive CC (or Pilot Assist). In normal non-Polestar mode, when pulling out from behind a slower car to follow a faster car in an outer lane, the pick up is quite slow. No longer. A very zippy D4.

Also when heading through roundabouts on a dual carriageway and trying to maintain a decent steady speed, with AWD plus the Polestar the stickability and smoothness is notable.

Finally, although I was messing around and trying faster stuff than normal, I still got 42.2 mpg over the 20 miles.

So, while it was only over a short distance, and now needs a more thorough set of tests, I can already recommend the upgrade, especially at the discounted price of £695 all in. If in any doubt, the offer includes a 14 day trial/cooling off period.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20". On the road since March 9th. Now Polestarred. :)


Telboy
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Polestar

Post by Telboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:01 pm

pjm007 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm
Installed this morning. 20 mile trip back from dealer. Tried different drive modes, particularly trying a 50-70 acceleration.

Main finding (obviously I suppose) was a very significant difference in throttle response. I had tried a 50-70 push (I don’t usually when driving normally) on the way to the dealer to check the effect for comparison. There was quite a lag before it picked up. Now hardly any noticeable lag. Same for other tests at lower speeds.

Another way this improvement is helpful is when using adaptive CC (or Pilot Assist). In normal non-Polestar mode, when pulling out from behind a slower car to follow a faster car in an outer lane, the pick up is quite slow. No longer. A very zippy D4.

Also when heading through roundabouts on a dual carriageway and trying to maintain a decent steady speed, with AWD plus the Polestar the stickability and smoothness is notable.

Finally, although I was messing around and trying faster stuff than normal, I still got 42.2 mpg over the 20 miles.

So, while it was only over a short distance, and now needs a more thorough set of tests, I can already recommend the upgrade, especially at the discounted price of £695 all in. If in any doubt, the offer includes a 14 day trial/cooling off period.
So, do you now sport an extra little sticker on the back of your car? :D
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue :D


User avatar
pjm007
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by pjm007 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Telboy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:01 pm

So, do you now sport an extra little sticker on the back of your car? :D
Well not quite yet :( Apparently it comes in the post later with a pack of stuff including a certificate. It is I think in fact another stick on badge (DIY this time) the same shape and size as those for, in my case, R-Design and AWD. Like this layout, but for the D4 or T5 ...... No D5 for the XC40 (yet, or in fact ever)!

Polestar 2.jpg

XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20". On the road since March 9th. Now Polestarred. :)


morrishey
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:12 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by morrishey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Was there any significant insurance increase PJM?
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, current estimate October, who knows?


User avatar
pjm007
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by pjm007 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 pm

morrishey wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 pm
Was there any significant insurance increase PJM?
My post from one page back on July 2nd:-

“In planning for a possible Polestar upgrade, I contacted my insurance company today. They quoted zero change to the premium but would charge an admin fee. Fair enough I thought.”
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20". On the road since March 9th. Now Polestarred. :)


ChrisS777
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: Polestar

Post by ChrisS777 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 am

Hi Pjm
am not sure what is 50-70,
but can you please let me know if the diesel lag that is supposed to appear when accelerating from standing still (don't have the car yet so am guessing about this lag, from what I read so far) , disappeared /reduced?

Thanks
Chris


User avatar
pjm007
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Polestar

Post by pjm007 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 am

ChrisS777 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 am
Hi Pjm
am not sure what is 50-70,
but can you please let me know if the diesel lag that is supposed to appear when accelerating from standing still (don't have the car yet so am guessing about this lag, from what I read so far) , disappeared /reduced?

Thanks
Chris
50 to 70 mph. Mid range acceleration. I never try to accelerate (i.e. race off or floor the pedal) from a standing start, just drive normally, so have never previously noted any lag there. I will try it next time out!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20". On the road since March 9th. Now Polestarred. :)


q3billy
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Location: East Sussex

Re: Polestar

Post by q3billy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am

Shaenei wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 pm
I'd be more interested to know if it helps or solves the gear selector issue when at lower speeds that's been reported by the media. Didn't see it on my test drive but mainly drove on 60+ roads.
I did my test drive around an industrial estate, busy nose-to-tail traffic, clearway roads and 70 dual carriageways so all types of roads and I didn't notice any selector issues. I even reverse parked it once back at the dealership and didn't notice any delay in getting it into reverse from drive.

I just wish that I had the extra £4,500 to upgrade to the T4 auto :lol:
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Estimated delivery was 30/09 then 30/12 now 06/12 :cry:


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volvo XC40 chat”