2020 R Design Pro B4

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Karlstad

Post by Karlstad »

New to the Volvo brand and very pleased with my used XC40 purchased in late January this year at 14700 miles.

One previous owner and purchased through main dealer/Selekt scheme.

I guess I should have paid a little more attention but have noticed both front discs seem excessively scored at a current mileage of 15800 miles. Unable to get a good visual on pad thickness which would have allayed some concern.

I don't think we are in rivit territory yet the but scroring does seem excessive for this sort of mileage. Other than this the vehicle is in immaculate condition.

Any feedback would be apprciated...

Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

We have a decent amount of scoring on our discs too at 22,000 miles. We live on the South Coast very near the sea, the discs get surface rust almost the second we park it up (which is normal, but exacerbated by the sea air). This can lead to scoring when it’s next driven, especially if it’s left for a few days.

It’s possible your car was a seaside car too, or simply didn’t move for an extended period of time and was then driven.

Unless the pads themselves are extremely thin or misshapen, I wouldn’t worry too much about it, the disc surface will even back out with time.
Karlstad

Post by Karlstad »

Thanks, I think you could be spot on... The car spent it's first 3 years on the Isle of Lewis at around 5k a year garaged I believe. I've checked all over (except the discs evidently), and can see very little, if any evidence of corrosion due to its early environment.

Thanks again..