C40

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Anyone have a C40, if so how do you like it, pro’s and cons. Thanks Looking at a single motor plus

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Check out this channel, the content creator has a C40, there are many videos about his experience with the car.

https://youtube.com/@thom-lov?si=TWRtXoW4KbcBHIIq
percymon

Post by percymon »

I've had my MY23 (front wheel drive) C40 Plus since July last year and covered 8k miles .

Good points:
Well built, no creaks or groans from the interior, paint quality and fit n finish are very good
Good ride quality (I have the optional 20" rims and its still fine for me) , can cope with moderate pot holes and broken tarmac without any complaints
Quiet cabin, even at motorway speeds
Front seats super comfortable for longer trips, rear seat backs are a bit upright for most passengers
Good acceleration from most speeds for overtaking etc
Economy overall for me is ca 3.5miles/kWh so a range of 240 miles - i did complete one leisurely cross country trip of 260 miles with 7% battery when temps were good late summer.
Had no issues with charging at home (7kW) or at rapid chargers (bar availability of some units, but thats not the cars fault)

Sat Nav works perfectly well, routing is pretty accurate and new road layouts seem to be updated quickly.
Voice commands via google work as well as any system i've encountered
One pedal drive is great for town/urban use
No faults experienced - pretty rare with a new car these days

Bad points:
Like any EV if would want to drive constantly at the NSL on A roads and motorways then the range will drop by up to 40 miles, take another 20 off for colder weather
Sloping rear hatch cuts into boot space, so i cant fit a dog cage - i just fitted a full padded boot liner (base, sides etc) and added a decent dog bed - my staffie is perfectly happy.
Front wheel scrabble/torque steer on harder acceleration - even with 235 wide Pirreli PZeros fitted there's not enough mechanical grip to deal with the torque on damp roads.
Get the occasional glitch from the centre screen, no audio sound mostly but a quick hold of the home button cures it - i dont think its any worse than glitches on a mobile phone to be honest
No way is the car worth £55k, i wouldn't pay more than £40k for one if it was my own money - thankfully its a company lease and the BEV taxation makes it viable
Its a psuedo SUV, so the handling is a bit roley poley - fine on A roads, but if you want to push it on B roads or traffic islands be prepared for plenty of body lean - there's enough space in the wheel arches to lower it at least 75mm, maybe 100mm and it still not look silly, so no idea why Volvo insisted on it being so high is beyond me - they could have got better economy, better body control, better aesthetics for a simple change in springs and dampers.

I considered the Polestar 2, slightly better handling with lower centre of gravity, and the BMW 330e hybrid (similar co lease costs) - BMW was longer lead time, so i went with the C40
jOhnWall

Post by jOhnWall »

Thanks for the comprehensive revew @percymon.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Belated thanks Percymon for your feedback. I should have stated I already have an XC40 T4 so aware of many of the positives of vehicle, but interesting to read your thoughts on the EV aspects. Have to say love the look of C40 and a lot of kit, especially plus model which seems to have more than the hybrid plus, and nearly new prices not far off one another.
percymon

Post by percymon »

Stovo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:06 pm Belated thanks Percymon for your feedback. I should have stated I already have an XC40 T4 so aware of many of the positives of vehicle, but interesting to read your thoughts on the EV aspects. Have to say love the look of C40 and a lot of kit, especially plus model which seems to have more than the hybrid plus, and nearly new prices not far off one another.
No problem, glad my summary was of some use.

Since you are familiar with the XC40 then the only extra items i'd add..

dont assume ride quality will be the same - the C40 is quite a heavy beast
Ensure if you carry adult passengers that there is sufficient rear headroom, the sloping roof design isnt as practical
Ditto luggage space - i'd estimate you lose 20-30% of luggage volume due to the sloping tailgate - the frunk/froot will take the charging cables and perhaps a small gym kit but thats about it
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

percymon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:07 pm
Front wheel scrabble/torque steer on harder acceleration - even with 235 wide Pirreli PZeros fitted there's not enough mechanical grip to deal with the torque on damp roads.
Isn't the C40 now either rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

m@rk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am Isn't the C40 now either rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?
C40 MY23 onwards is RWD or AWD.