B4 Reduced Performance

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
akendal9

Post by akendal9 »

Hi all

New to the forum and what better way to start than with a fault!

I have a 2023 MY B4 Ultimate that has just gone over 1 year and 10,000 miles. Been pretty pleased with it other than the reach on the steering wheel and it took us down to the south of France last summer without drama.

Over the last few months I have noticed the power delivery is hesitant when pulling away and mentioned at the 1 year service. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and just re-loaded the software. Today I noticed, not only the hesitancy, but also shuddering under load to the point the yellow engine light came on and the turtle icon. After a few minutes the warnings cleared and we able to continue, although it was still low on power and a little uneven. Don't know if this is a thing as I never tried before, but in neutral and park the engine won't rev past 4,000rpm. This doesn't feel right considering the red line is some way north.

Have booked the car in for an inspection next week but would be interested if anyone else has experienced this.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Can’t help with your fault and I hope you manage to get it sorted - I tend to take photo or video if possible, just so I can show the service desk the issue.

With regards to not revving past 4K, it’s possible the car has a soft limiter on, so if it’s not in gear, it won’t rev past a certain point…
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

I have a similar issue, except mine only happens when accelerating and generally only in the fist 15 minutes of driving. Fully warmed up (I assume, lacking a temp gauge) it seems fine. Usually I just get some misfires, but twice (both times accelerating on to a dual carriageway) it went into limp mode. I suspect Volvo don’t have a fix. My car is a 7 month old ex-Volvo employee car, and I’m sur3 they must have had the issue. Will see what the first service in July throws up, if anything.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

It's certainly not an unknown issue. Various similar reports on the forum.

I described my issue in the posts here:

viewtopic.php?t=3924

Since spark plug replacement I've had no further recurrence (fingers crossed!)
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)