windscreen calibration

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
scnps

Post by scnps »

Hi, hoping someone can give me a definitive answer to whether I really need to spend an additional £150 at a dealer.
Volvo XC40 with cracked windscreen, something flew up along motorway, and being replaced through insurance with Autoglass doing the fitting.
Having to wait a couple of weeks so presume they are getting oem and they told me after fitting it they need a 30 minute drive to recalibrate, radar / rain sensor et al??
Went on chat with Volvo UK to see whether Volvo technician would need to do anything afterwards and they said yes, as did my local dealer. However this will come as a labour cost of £150 +VAT, so is this something I really need after my insurance excess charge of £180.
Many thanks.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

MY20 radar is placed on the top side of the windscreen, therefore the unit has to be recalibrated after a windscreen change. It should be done by a Volvo technician, I’m not sure if Autoglass has the required precision equipment for such a recalibration.
Last edited by eugen61 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Think Volvo are talking about the same calibration as auto glass.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
gedger

Post by gedger »

I would ask Autoglass to confirm that they are providing a fully calibrated and working solution and that it doesn't need any Volvo intervention. If there are any doubts then I'd express my concerns to the insurer and see what they say.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
scnps

Post by scnps »

thanks for the pointers, will double check with Autoglass, thanks again.
XC40 Inscription (MY20) T4 FWD 2.0l petrol automatic - Denim Blue - Xenium pack, Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Can you get the screen replaced by Volvo?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
scnps

Post by scnps »

My insurer's go to glass repair/replace is Autoglass as is many others.
Direct to Volvo is £1600+, as gedger suggests I will confirm all calibration done as per manufacturer's specs.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

LV allow you to use another vendor but you have to pay a higher excess.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
scnps

Post by scnps »

So a quick online chat, Autoglass confirm calibration all done to manufacturers requirements, also outlined here:
https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repai ... tion-faqs/

thanks to those contributing
JB XC40

Post by JB XC40 »

I have had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass at one of their centres. They do all the work and they don’t need to drive the car with the system fitted to the XC40. I initially took mine to the main dealer as they offer free repairs but no surprise they said it would need a new screen and recommended if I had it to go through my own insurance. It turns out even the Volvo dealers farm the work out to Autoglass most of the time so with my insurer it cost a total of £75 for a new screen including fitting and all recalibration work as opposed to an informal quote of around £900 plus fitting and recalibration from Volvo.
With regards to thinking the delay means you will get a OEM Volvo screen. Don't hold your breath. There is no guarantee. It varies from insurer to insurer. Very few insist on OEM glass or if they do they charge an extra inflated excess for what is highly likely to be the exact same screen minus the Volvo logo. I did enquire at the time as my car was only 3 weeks old about the possibility of OEM glass being supplied. The guy I dealt with was very sympathetic and I suspect from something he said which involved my original appointment being cancelled at the last minute may have been why a few weeks later mine was fitted with a genuine Volvo screen at no extra cost.
I may have just got lucky but obviously didn’t ask too many questions!!
Ordered Volvo XC40 B4 Mild Hybrid Ultimate Dark
Silver Dawn 20” 5 Double Spoke Alloys
Delivered July 2023