Sat Nav .... Not the best as it seems.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

Had the car a good while now been using the Sat Nav and its not the best.. settings are confusing, arrival time seems way off..
Would like to be able to set a max speed so my arrival time would be more realistic, same goes for road choices,, Big road trip over to France planned 3000 plus miles so will use the sat nav but alongside my trusted Tom Tom,,,

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

All sat nav's have their idiosyncrasies, but I've found the arrival time pretty accurate. Which version is yours, Google or sensus?
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

Felindre wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 pm All sat nav's have their idiosyncrasies, but I've found the arrival time pretty accurate. Which version is yours, Google or sensus?
Sensus .. With the road trip over the next couple of weeks I should get more of an idea of how it performs...
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Do you see traffic on your Sensus map (green, yellow and red lines along the road)? If you don’t it means your car is not connected to the internet and can’t take into account traffic, making it difficult to correctly approximate arrival time at destination.
percymon

Post by percymon »

You could use Waze app on your phone, not sure how well it covers Europe but it certainly takes into account live traffic data.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Waze (owned by Google) is very popular in France and highly reliable for navigation in Europe.

“Waze partners with cities, transportation authorities, broadcasters, businesses, and first responders to ensure the community-driven data is accurate and helps as many people as possible in saving valuable minutes. Waze uses crowd-sourced data from users to plan the best route according to users' preferences, whether is the fastest, shortest, or toll-free route. The map on Waze is dynamic and not static. The map will be updated in real-time and rerouted according to the data crowd-sourced from users.”

https://www.cozyberries.com/waze-statis ... ers-facts/
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

So if you like your TomTom then you can get the TomTom ap on your iPhone and have it on the main screen using CarPlay rather than having a separate unit.

Unlike the majority here, I would agrue that both Waze and Google Maps are totally useless as direction givers. Yes as a map service or information service but when you are in an unknown town and need turn by turn directions that are clear and well times, hopeless! Oddly for turn by turn stuff, I find Apple Maps to be one of the best out there (but useless if you want to find a shop or other location) and TomTom has good clear turn by turn features too

As for Sensus. I am coming to the end of my term with my XC40 but driving a PHEV, you have to use the built in navigation to get the most out of the hybrid drivetrain so I have got used to it. Generally when connected to online services to see the traffic ahead, it is no better or worse than anything else. Just different.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I had no issues with the Sensus maps, accuracy and time etc were spot on, but I ensured it was connected to the internet, so had real time traffic enabled and does make a difference.
If you’ve not got one, get yourself a SIM and pop it in the boot connector, set up and away you go 👍🏻