Xc40 broken into without key

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:19 pm No, I thought of that! Seems AAOS cars are different. Mine opens everything including mirrors from the Android app, there is no "press the boot button" message in my app after pressing "unlock". Car is fully unlocked.
Was the OP car actually locked properly I wonder.
AAOS seems to use a different logic and I find the “stealth” remote unlock on Sensus cars safer, a passerby can’t realize the car was just unlocked and can be open. OP stated his car is “ Xc40 B4 Ultimate 03/23 delivery” so definitely AAOS.

OP’s story was a good reminder how weak Volvo ID login security is and how exposed Sensus cars are to hacking through Volvo ID, someone gaining access to the user name and password can install the app on a new device and access the car without the owner knowing. I hope Volvo’s future ID security enhancements will include not only 2FA, but also notifications for new logins and the list of devices having access to the car.

OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

Never use the app so used the key. Have created a YouTube video, let’s see if it works:

As discussed before if I had left the car open, the mirrors are folded and if I left it unlocked they should be open and to my knowledge when we went to the car for the first time it was locked.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

In the video you don't see the outside lights come on, and the mirrors appear to be folded in.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

OK, in this footage the car was already unlocked and alarm was not set as there is no red flashing light on the dash before or after the Bike Boy. Can't say for sure if the mirrors are in or out, regardless they can be set folded in without being locked.

Just looked at my black mirrors from the same angle and reckon yours Are unfolded. The nearside mirror is set at a much tighter angle to the offside and I think that's what we're seeing in the video.

So unless earlier footage shows Red Alarm flashing then stopping I suggest you didn't lock the car and an opportunistic kid simply tried your boot to see if it was open.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

My car is set to fold mirrors when locking and unfold when unlocking. I believe the video shows them folded. As I say I can’t guarantee the vehicle was locked but it would be unusual for it to be that way particularly as I was going on holiday. At the end of the day there seems to be no solution if it was locked and I have purchased the motion detector as a back up deterrent. If it was left unlocked then that’s easy.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Does earlier footage show the Red Alarm light flashing on the dash? If it does then your car security has been compromised. If not you either didn't lock it or for some reason it Failed to lock correctly. The latter is worth testing out a few times to see if you can recreate the issue.
Lincolnshire England.
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1608.jpeg

I’ve just taken two photos (in daylight which is different) with mirrors folded and then unfolded and to be honest it’s not as obvious as I thought it would be. The drivers door mirror looks more obvious (lh side from camera). I’m going to leave the car open and see if locks itself after time. I’ll check previous night time footage to see if I can see the alarm light as it’s not visible in the day time on the camera.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

So if the boot wasn't properly closed, then whilst you would have heard the central locking try to lock and the mirrors fold in, the alarm would not have been set

The car is now sat there, open and with the boot not closed properly and the alarm isn't set. Thus no red flashing light

So that kid is passing by and notices the boot is not closed properly. He tries to open the boot and sure enough, it opens and the alarm doesn't go off. No lights would flash as the car was never alarmed to start with. Knowing the car is now open, he can open the drivers door, help himself and ride off.

My suspicion is that for whatever reason, the boot had not properly closed, he spotted this and took the opportunity. Nothing more sinister than that
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
OxfordT

Post by OxfordT »

During this discussionI daily I left the car open. When I checked back the car is locked. I checked my video and I unlocked it at 10:38. At 10:40 the car locked itself with lights flashing and mirrors folding in. I did not leave the house but the key was in my pocket. I repeated the exercise but this time immediately placed the key in the Faraday pouch and placed behind downstairs cupboard and the car locked itself after 2 minutes.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If you unlock the car without opening the doors it'll relock itself as you describe. Try unlocking and opening the car up. Then see if it locks itself. Mine has never locked itself having been opened
Lincolnshire England.