Wheel swap

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
James_T_Kirk

Post by James_T_Kirk »

Hi - if i were to change my wheels for another (Volvo XC40) set would it affect the TPMS? I guess my real question is do all Volvo XC40's come with TPMS sensors and do they need setting to the car (re-scanning i guess)?

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I think you’d just do a re calibration of the TPMS which is what you do after you have a puncture
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Volvo XC40 doesn’t come with TPMS sensors, it’s using ABS to determin low pressure. After swapping the wheels just set the new pressure in the Car Status app in the centre display. From the owner’s manual:

“The tyre pressure monitoring system measures differences in rotation speed between the different wheels via the ABS system in order to be able to determine whether they have the correct tyre pressure. If the tyre pressure is too low, the tyre's diameter is changed and, as a result, so is its rotation speed. By comparing the tyres with each other the system can determine whether one or more tyres have pressure that is too low.”
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

eugen61 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:37 pm Volvo XC40 doesn’t come with TPMS sensors, it’s using ABS to determin low pressure. After swapping the wheels just set the new pressure in the Car Status app in the centre display. From the owner’s manual:

“The tyre pressure monitoring system measures differences in rotation speed between the different wheels via the ABS system in order to be able to determine whether they have the correct tyre pressure. If the tyre pressure is too low, the tyre's diameter is changed and, as a result, so is its rotation speed. By comparing the tyres with each other the system can determine whether one or more tyres have pressure that is too low.”
Are you sure about setting the new pressure?
When I had a puncture I had to recalibrate the TPMS which meant having to drive for a certain distance. Whilst I agree how it works (it is called TPMS) I certainly didn’t set a new pressure
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

There’s no pressures indicated or measured in the XC40, but the display still uses the term.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Chris John wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:48 pm
eugen61 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:37 pm Volvo XC40 doesn’t come with TPMS sensors, it’s using ABS to determin low pressure. After swapping the wheels just set the new pressure in the Car Status app in the centre display. From the owner’s manual:

Are you sure about setting the new pressure?
When I had a puncture I had to recalibrate the TPMS which meant having to drive for a certain distance. Whilst I agree how it works (it is called TPMS) I certainly didn’t set a new pressure
You’re right, that’s what I meant. In the Car Status app there’s a prompt that asks something like “store current pressure” and will take some driving time to do so.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Blimey chaps, I know I can be a bit pedantic! :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
percymon

Post by percymon »

Check with your insurer about swapping wheels, as some may deem it's a modification from the original build sheet.

When i've used a separate set for winter they've deemed that OK but not all insurers have the same view.