B4 old vs new

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

My B4 ( 21) is in for a service today, dropped it off yesterday and picked up a 23 ref B4 courtesy car. Interesting comparison.

Firstly, the engine, seems faster than mine, though after a while it became a bit tiring it racing off everywhere. Maybe it is faster though the specs appear identical, or maybe it's just I have a custom profile based on ECO that softens the accelerator response. It did feel more racy than mine, and maybe a bit more nimble?

Coasting, I do like this on the new B4, mine drops to idle, the new one shows the engine switching off, even when braking which surprised me. You couldn't tell by the engine sound, and it runs for a long time in coasting.

But oh dear, coming back on the motorway I set cruise and nearly needed new trousers, no ACC? Come on, even the misses 25 grand T-Cross has ACC not the old fashioned 'run up the back of the car in front' cruise. Looking at the specs later I found only the top spec Ultra gets this, and it isn't an option you can add to the lower model.

Extra's like the keyless entry, lights under the door handles I like. Headlights auto switch seems much more rapid than mine, and I like the 2 stage main beam where the distance comes on then fraction later it seems to rise up, or maybe dims out close to the car.

AAOS I like the look of the displays, but miss many options, e.g. how to change the consumption from long term to current journey, and of course no drive mode button. Like the map in the driver display, mine has this but the new one seems more useable, maybe it's because it's a bit bigger without the dials mine retains in the way.

I'd love to swop, but the lack of ACC and of course no AWD would be a show stopper. But yes, I do like it.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

Bradders

Post by Bradders »

Sounds like they’d loaned you a Plus. The B4 Ultimate (equiv to your Inscription) does have ACC, or at least mine does.
T3 R-Design, Fusion Red, Early 21 (hers). Fully loaded.
B4 Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Late 23 (mine).
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

The new FWD with 7 speed dual clutch gear is quicker and more nimble. I agree, loss of AWD is a big one for me too. You can still toggle between Auto Trip and Manual Trip though.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Cro

Post by Cro »

With the 2023 model year the B3 and B4 engines and the transmission have been upgraded. The transmission has switched from the Aisin 8 gear box to a 7 gear dual clutch box. The engine got a new piston design, a variable geometry turbine, higher compression ratio, shorter intake valve opening duration, a new intake port and removed the high load fuel enrichment. These changes resulted in snappier performance and lower fuel consumption.

2025 model year cars equipped with the B5 engine will also get the same treatment.
Late MY23 XC40 B4P AWD Ultimate Bright Dusk /w Pixel lights.
Ordered 25th August 2022, delivered 11th January 2023
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Agree about the penny pinching lack of ACC. I've got the normal CC on two cars and have had it on previous cars but have rarely used it.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
riskymoth

Post by riskymoth »

I think ACC/Pilot Assist is the main thing from the Ultimate that I wish I had on my Plus. I'd also quite like the matrix headlights, but mostly I don't drive much in the dark. I did read on another forum that the hardware for ACC/Pilot Assist is actually already in the Plus, and if you're naughty you can "hack" the car to enable the software for the system - but, more usefully, there was apparently briefly an option in Italy where it was possible to "buy" the system through the online store/app or something for AAOS cars, but it seemed be withdrawn before too long with no clear indication whether it will return. Might all be internet rumours though...
gedger

Post by gedger »

Must have been an option as I have AAC on my Plus (bought as ex demonstrator).
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

That was then, this is now... Could well have been an option back in 23, definitely doesn't appear now either in the on line configurator or the current price list. Maybe it'll all change by the time I'm ready to replace my current.

Checking on performance figures and the pricelist from 21 the current B4 is over 1 second quicker 0 to 60, so not my imagination.

Taking the loaner back misses was pushing me on how much I liked the new model. And yes, a lot to like, but the big 2 for me still are a lack of ACC and AWD (not prepared to stump up for the Ultra and the extra tax)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Hmm, “nimble” is not a term I’d ever apply to the MY24 B4 Ultimate I have! It’s barge like when compared to the Cupra Ateca I had, and even when compared to my last car, a Mazda CX-30, it rolls and wallows significantly more. “Stately” would be my description 😊. But I do like the AAOS. It’s the best voice control system since a Honda CRV in around 2005. It’s also very easy to drive and position on the road, helped perhaps by the lack of worry about kerbing the 19” wheels with relatively high sidewall tyres. The Cupra ran 35 profile tyres and fancy-pants black and bronze wheels, so was kept well clear of kerbs!
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

It's all relative and Felindre did say a bit more nimble which can be applied to the performance as well as the handling. I found the same and its partly due to the help that the starter/generator gives.

I have another car on 19" low-profile tyres and I like how the XC40 drives.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.