AAOS 2.14.3

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:05 am Did the install yesterday. Went to pick up my son from the station about a mile away and when parking the centre display went blank apart from a message saying the camera was temporarily unavailable. Screen was completely unresponsive and I turned off the heated seat and steering wheel using voice command.

On restarting and driving home it was the same. Stopped and restarted again to park in the drive and was working again. Will try again this morning and hopefully Ok or will need a reset.

This type of thing does niggle me when Volvo break things that were working fine before with their so called updates, whatever they are.
This post and numerous other negative posts has finally made me decide I will not be buying another XC40. With numerous issues with AAOS, problems with the B3 engine (which I would have gone for), whooping noises, cost cutting - cheap gear lever, no lugs on carpet mats, no sound proofing on bonnet, and Volvo appearing to no longer be a luxury brand due to customer service, but still charge luxury brand prices. My T4 has been brilliant and I still think the car looks great, but I am not going to part with c£40k for a car I have no confidence in, and just don’t want the hassle when things start going wrong. I have decided to go over to what some of you think is the ‘’dark side’ and get a Lexus NX350h. I have started the buying process, but will probably have my XC40 for another 2-3 months, so will still be on the forum until it’s gone.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Good luck with your new car. What made you decide on the Lexus?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Seemed Ok this morning but it still niggles me. I may have needed the sat nav yesterday and wouldn't have been able to access it and I don't know if a reset would have rectified it, and why should I have to anyway. I bought a new car to minimize the chances of problems and be covered by warranty if anything does happen and I expect it, not unreasonably, to just work. For me the only good thing about the AAOS is Google maps and the improved voice operation and if this had been added to Sensus, for me would have been a much better solution. Everything else just seems a step backwards.

So Stovo, as much as I like the XC40, I see where you are coming from. I'll see how it goes but I wouldn't be surprised if I think about changing early in a couple of years time as I have niggling doubts. No problem with you going over to the dark-side, it was the incessant pushing of Toyota/Lexus and the now questionable 3 year/10 year warranty by you know who that used to annoy us.

Having had a Skoda Kodiaq for 4 weeks as a hire car on holiday, which was very pleasant and did the job without fuss I shall probably go back to something from the VWG.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I treat the cars software as I would my mobile phone, tablet, TV Firestick and PC. Which it's closely related to. I manually reboot after updates or any sign of "issues". Or in any case once a week or so.
My preference would be to have none of this in my car, and a nice Straight 6 or V8 but clearly I'm in the minority reading what owners expect these days.
Personally I had issues with Sensus, on one very hot day the heating stayed on Full. Nothing I did would turn it off. Eventually, I stopped, locked the car and left it for 20 mins and it reset itself. At least with AAOS you can reboot whilst driving.
As Volvo are moving to all BEV very soon I expect my next car will be a BMW or Audi.
Lincolnshire England.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:18 pm Good luck with your new car. What made you decide on the Lexus?
Why the Lexus, Buzzbox sold it to me! lol.😂 Seriously, I just think it a great car, quality build and finish, reliability record, and lovely to drive, yes the eCVT gearbox is not the smoothest when flooring the accelerator, but behaves impeccably under normal driving conditions. Overall I think it is a level above the XC40 technologically, particularly regards hybrid. I am also keeping my next vehicle for around 5 years, and I feel the Lexus offers me peace of mind in keeping the car so long. Right nuff said, I don’t want to be mistaken for a Lexus salesman! My current XC40 has been a fantastic car for near on 4 years, but as stated previously, just not confident in buying another, and keeping a further 5 years.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Can't argue with that and will certainly consider one when looking next time.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Do all Lexus/Toyota models use the CVT gearbox?
Lincolnshire England.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:21 pm Do all Lexus/Toyota models use the CVT gearbox?
Have no idea. I know the NX I drove had an e- cvt transmission because I was aware of comments about it, but found it absolutely fine, but a little noisy on the occasion you have to floor it.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Have you had a quote for insurance as Toyota/Lexus were featured on Watchdog this evening for the ease with which they can be stolen? I assume this has been addressed with the latest cars though?

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

When driving today I noticed when coasting downhill that when I braked the engine restarted on a number of occassions . Perhaps this is a result of the "several minor drive system and power supply adjustments"?

If so, that remedies a criticism of mine in having to use the accelerator to restart the engine when it makes more sense to restart when braking. On the flat and coasting it didn't restart when braking. I'm increasingly using Manual mode to keep the engine running at traffic lights, islands and junctions etc. and so I'm happy that I can get the car to do what I want now, rather than what it wants to do as regards stop/start.

Many will know of my criticism of the side to side gear change but ironically the resulting backwards movement between Drive and Manual is better for defeating the stop/start. Now, if there were flappy paddles as well I'd be as happy as a pig in s...!