What tyres next?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JamieRob93

Post by JamieRob93 »

Hi folks,

Looking to gather some advice on what tyre set up people are running and their experiences of them.

For context, I’ve a T5 p* AWD with OM Pirelli P Zero’s currently on the corners. I went with the PZ’s simply due to it being the “OM” spec suggestion for my 2019 xc40 and having never used P Zero’s before I didn’t really know what to expect, however it’s been less than a year (>9k mileage) and they’re getting close to 3mm so I’m less than impressed with the wear and when I put my foot down it often struggles to find grip. My tyre size is 245,45,20.

My commute involves a high percentage of B-roads and different inclines, so the grip gets a good work out. Being in Scotland, the temperatures are almost always single digit (all bar about 3 months of the year).

I’ve read good things about Michelins, especially the Cross Climate 2s and I’m not adverse to spending more to save in the longer term if it’s worthwhile.

Thanks in advance. 👍🏻
XC40 T5 R-Design AWD Polestar

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

The Cross Climates are now standard fit on the electric xc40. Ours is currently on 14,000 miles but on the P zeros and they still have almost 6mm left. Once they need replacing I plan to go with the Cross Climates. They should be ideal for your situation.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JamieRob93 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:37 pm My commute involves a high percentage of B-roads and different inclines, so the grip gets a good work out. Being in Scotland, the temperatures are almost always single digit (all bar about 3 months of the year).
For your driving conditions I would also pick Michelin CrossClimate 2 SUV (CC2), it’s available in 245/45R20 size. On the other hand, the new Continental PremiumContact 7 (PC7) seems to be the best summer tire in terms of driving safety for both dry and wet conditions, but it’s not yet available in 245/45R20 size. ADAC will publish on June 25 a comprehensive test for all-season tires with comparative data for CC2 and PC7, it might be worth waiting until July to choose your next tires, more tests will be available by then.
Preethi

Post by Preethi »

Cevoli21 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 pm The Cross Climates are now standard fit on the electric xc40. Ours is currently on 14,000 miles but on the P zeros and they still have almost 6mm left. Once they need replacing I plan to go with the Cross Climates. They should be ideal for your situation.
The Cross Climates appear to be an excellent alternative for your electric XC40, giving both longevity and performance. Plus, with about 6mm left on the P Zeros, you've still got some distance to go!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've got factory fitted PZ4s 245/45/20 and after 7k miles fronts are over 5.5mm and rears over 6.5mm. And I don't hang about! I find the grip pretty good for the lump it is. Would expect the Michelin CCs not to handle as well, completely different tyre aimed at coping with snow. The comparable Michelin would surely be the Pilot Sport 4 SUV?

With lower temperature the CC's may be better for grip, but they have increased braking distance in the wet... So wonder how their Wet Grip is compared to an A rated Wet Grip summer tyre in the cold! I've got a headache now.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:36 pm With lower temperature the CC's may be better for grip, but they have increased braking distance in the wet... So wonder how their Wet Grip is compared to an A rated Wet Grip summer tyre in the cold!
Indeed. Compared with first generation CrossClimate, the CC2 improved snow performance, but worsened wet performance. Under 4C any A rated wet grip summer tire will have a significantly increased braking distance on wet roads.

Continental comes on top in many 2024 summer tire tests with their new PC7. ADAC just published their summer SUV tire test, in a couple of days tyrereview.com should post an English translation. The test in German, for detailed data click on each tire from the table and scroll down to Allgemeine Daten. https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/a ... 15-55-r17/
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've had several bad experiences with Continental Tyres in my long past, such that I would never fit them again! So for me it'll be Pirelli or Michelin.
I had a set of CC1s on a Land Rover and they were a significant improvement over the standard Goodyear fitment. Would love to try new CC2s on the XC40 as a direct comparison to the PZ4s, but suspect for the amount of time Lincolnshire is below 8°c they would be worse. Unless they improve handling on wet muddy roads? which there are a lot of round here!
Lincolnshire England.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

I think it depends if you want to have 2 sets of tyres or not. If yes, then get a set of proper winters for Nov-Mar, and a decent summer tyre for the rest, be it Pirelli (P Zero is a soft compound so will wear quickly) or Michelin or Dunlop (I ran Sport Max for years on my Quattro). But if you want one all-rounder it’s hard to see past the CC2. It’s what’s going on mine come November when I’ll dump the ecoContacts.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I don't really get the weather for winter tyres. CC2's are tempting but undecided. If I get 20k miles from a set of tyres I'm more than happy. Seems the PZ4's will do that milage.

Frankly if my latest XC40 had come with eco contacts again I'd have replaced them immediately. Awful tyre imo.
Lincolnshire England.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

My default tyre replacement has been Michelin for many years and i've been very pleased with them. We popped a set of Cros Climates on wife's and father in laws car and absolutely no problems with them and they definitely an improvement in snow.

With regards to wet weather grip / braking, I was taught and always have driven to the weather conditions, so if it's wet, you slow down a little / leave a bit more of a gap (until the idiot in the VW / Audi with the fart map on the car pulls into it that is).

Neighbour had goodyear equivalent of all weather tyres and they were rubbish and didn't last long...