What tyres next?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I put Michelin Cross climate on my previous Tiguan. I found them fine, only thing I noticed was increased road noise.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
percymon

Post by percymon »

Michelins almost always last longer than any other brand, which partly offsets the fact they are more often than not the most expensive option.

Pirellis are one of the softer compounds and i've known sports car owning friends get through a set of PZeros in well under 5k miles.

I have 20" PZero SUV VOL fitted on my C40 and after 7k miles there's plenty of tread left on the driven front tyres; i expect them to get to 13k miles, the rears probably nearer 20k miles or more.

Given the OPs location and roads, the Cross Climates appear a very good option, but not the only all season option.
JB XC40

Post by JB XC40 »

I think a bigger concern that no one has mentioned yet is the perishing you get on all modern tyres. I have had a couple of cars within the family that have failed MOT’s with loads of tread left but significant perishing on the sidewalls or between the treads. I was talking to a tyre fitter and they were saying they are seeing loads of tyres from across the board they are scrapping with plenty of tread left but are badly perished rendering them useless well before their time.
Makes you wonder if it’s worth spending a fortune on premium tyres if you are not going to get a decent timescale out of them 🤷‍♂️
Ordered Volvo XC40 B4 Mild Hybrid Ultimate Dark
Silver Dawn 20” 5 Double Spoke Alloys
Delivered July 2023
AldridgeAndy

Post by AldridgeAndy »

JB XC40 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 am I think a bigger concern that no one has mentioned yet is the perishing you get on all modern tyres. I have had a couple of cars within the family that have failed MOT’s with loads of tread left but significant perishing on the sidewalls or between the treads. I was talking to a tyre fitter and they were saying they are seeing loads of tyres from across the board they are scrapping with plenty of tread left but are badly perished rendering them useless well before their time.
Makes you wonder if it’s worth spending a fortune on premium tyres if you are not going to get a decent timescale out of them 🤷‍♂️
Avon ZV7 Tyres had a bit of reputation for this, they would perish prematurely in the eyes of most owners, before you’d had chance you wear down the tread to 50%
2024 MY - Volvo XC40 B3 Plus Dark
JB XC40

Post by JB XC40 »

AldridgeAndy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:44 pm
JB XC40 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 am I think a bigger concern that no one has mentioned yet is the perishing you get on all modern tyres. I have had a couple of cars within the family that have failed MOT’s with loads of tread left but significant perishing on the sidewalls or between the treads. I was talking to a tyre fitter and they were saying they are seeing loads of tyres from across the board they are scrapping with plenty of tread left but are badly perished rendering them useless well before their time.
Avon ZV7 Tyres had a bit of reputation for this, they would perish prematurely in the eyes of most owners, before you’d had chance you wear down the tread to 50%
100% agree on Avon. I had the misfortune to have them on a work van and they even had steels showing out of the perished cracking at less than 50% worn. Would never consider them on any vehicle!!
Ordered Volvo XC40 B4 Mild Hybrid Ultimate Dark
Silver Dawn 20” 5 Double Spoke Alloys
Delivered July 2023
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Not that surprising with many people doing significantly less mileage. I used to do 15k a year, year in, year out. Fronts would last 18 months, rears double that, but by 4 years they’d all be changed. Now I do less than 5k a year, so tyres might be on the car 8-10 years.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yeah, I've got a car that only does low miles and is 10 years old and I replaced all the tyres a few years ago even though there was plenty of tread left. The Continentals were only showing minor cracking on the sidewalls and I was still getting MOT passes with advisories but decided to change them. Same on my wife's Mini when she had it as well as she did less than 5k. a year.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Great so see how competition among tire manufactures results in safer motoring (new tire models with shorter braking distance). Michelin CrossClimate appears to have lost its dry conditions crown.
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:52 pm

Great so see how competition among tire manufactures results in safer motoring (new tire models with shorter braking distance). Michelin CrossClimate appears to have lost its dry conditions crown.
Would liked to see a couple of lesser known tyres in the list of tyres tested. It always seems to be the known tyre brands'