Gear change to manual

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ostberry

Post by ostberry »

Thinking of changing from BMW X1 to xc40 B3 but it doesn’t have gear change paddles. How easy is it to change to manual on the xc40 ( for holding gear on hills etc.)

Snow man

Post by Snow man »

One pull back on stick them just knock it sideways
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

I find it very easy especially when you want to get up the gears faster and reduce the revs and in doing so get better mpg… All you have to remember is to pull it back when stopped so it goes back into auto when you pull away…
ostberry

Post by ostberry »

Thanks for the replies, these forums are great. Next stop, a test drive.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Would have been so much better if they hadn't tried to be different by having the change from side to side, stupid idea and I find it awkward. Had the paddles on the first one which was great. With my Passat you pushed the stick sideways to go into Manual and then changed gear by moving forwards and backwards which is far more natural.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I second that. Misses has VW T Cross, very confusing switching between that and the XC :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I guess it's just what you are used to. Our other cars both have auto boxes where the manual option is side to side. Seems perfectly fine to us but after 20+ years we have had time to get used to it.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Actually changing up and down the gears from side to side? The Volvo is the only car I've ever encountered this with. Out of interest what are your other cars?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

I have to say the pushing it forward to go into reverse.. and back to go forward.. is more confusing..
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

ChrisLF wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:42 pm Actually changing up and down the gears from side to side? The Volvo is the only car I've ever encountered this with. Out of interest what are your other cars?
Mercedes CLK 2003 and SLK 2005. Both owned from new and still in regular use so we have had plenty of time to get used to it. Once you get used to it it's quite easy. Nudge left to shift down for engine braking and then pull right to shift up. Simples.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps