Unlock Notification

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:53 pm Indeed, Volvo Cars app for iPhone was updated today to version 5.36.1. Hopefully it fixes the unlock notification issue for AAOS cars.
Have just updated my app and unlocked the car….! Will report back.
T3 R-Design, Fusion Red, Early 21 (hers). Fully loaded.
B4 Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Late 23 (mine).

Itsme

Post by Itsme »

I've updated my App to the latest version and deliberately left the car unlocked. The App didn't advise me that the car was unlocked!
Peter
XC40 Mild Hybrid (Early2023)
riskymoth

Post by riskymoth »

No luck here either - to note, it seems that you need to enable the push notification for security in the app - but still nothing.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Reading all the issues, glad I still have my 2020 R design with Sensus. Apart from Google maps (which I use on CarPlay,), is AAOS really that much of an improvement?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

AAOS is an improvement ruined by bugs and delayed features. With higher definition driver display, faster processor, extensive app library and OTA system updates, it promised to be the next generation car software for many manufactures. Volvo was the first to introduce it on EVs (Polestar) and later extend it to all models, but the early release fell short with its limited app library and rare updates.

It turns out building EV software is very complicated, many car manufactures are having problems with their in-house developed OS, new driving safety system integration also adding complexity. Eventually, AAOS will become stable and bug free, but until then I’m keeping my 2020 T4 with Sensus.
gedger

Post by gedger »

I agree, AAOS does the job but the bugs have really let it down, although to be fair it is just about OK at the moment, I haven't had to reset the console for a few months now.

I also think the touch screen interface derives too much functionality from a phone/table which makes it unsuitable for use whilst driving. Being able to swipe down from the top on a car interface seems nonsensical to me. The buttons in the radio app are also far too small to be used whilst driving. Annoying all these things are so easily fixable but I feel Volvo's focus is elsewhere. The climate is also fiddly and requires long stares to ensure you're hitting the right part of the screen.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
riskymoth

Post by riskymoth »

Since picking up mine in late November last year I had to reset the head unit once when Maps crashed, the modem once when it lost connectivity, and I had several of those left indicator malfunction warnings. The car also stalled(!) when entering an off-road car park at low speed, but it's only done this the once, and I've has several instances in the past of the whooping noises when braking. More recently it has been much more stable, and I hope it stays this way - and I agree with gedger - the interface could be much improved in my opinion with some interaction changes, removing the swiping phone-derived paradigms and increasing button sizes.

But I found my previous 21-plate Mercedes A-Class to also have plenty of glitches too - it frequently threw dire warnings of engine management and gearbox issues - but they always cleared on the next start of the car, and the service department could retrieve no record of them. At least it had buttons (tiny, cheap and plasticky, with impossible to read labels) for the climate control... Complex software is very tricky to get right! My previous two cars (Honda/Seat) almost had the opposite problem - various bits would go wrong, but the system would not detect them, and then it was really hard to persuade the garages that there was an issue.

I'm not making excuses for Volvo though - the number of issues, and complete unresponsiveness when I contact them is not good enough for a so-called premium brand. But overall, I really like this car, it still has many great qualities.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Personally I have no issues using the controls on screen. But if you do why not simply say OK Google, turn heating up. Or set heating to 20 degrees, etc?

Google Assistant is probably the best Voice Command system on the market.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
gedger

Post by gedger »

The trouble is remembering what to say, it seems very fussy and the negative responses from Google "I don't know how to do that" are useless. The other day I wanted to divert the heat to my feet. I tried numerous combinations before giving up and poking the display. If anyone else is it the car then they thinks it's really funny! I had to check the manual to find the correct command "air on feet" which negates many benefits of voice control in my view. Surely "heat my feet", "climate to feet", "heat to floor" should have worked or at least a response like "do you mean air on feet" or "these are the climate commands"?

It still frustrates me that I have to say "hey google listen to 'Radio Station' Saint" or "hey google listen to 'Radio Station' S T" because AAOS has added the letters ST to the end some radio stations. Plus the fact that sometimes the radio is on (at a random volume) when you start a journey and sometimes it's not...

Finally why do we have to say "Hey Google", why not "Hey Volvo" or even better "Volvo air on feet", I drive a Volvo not a "Google"!

The rest of the car is so great, that the AAOS irregularities stand out for me.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Because it's Google Assistant! Brand is important and it identifies it as the same as that on your phone, tablet, etc. You can also say OK Google or simply press the Voice button on the steering wheel.

With regards to ST on radio stations, remember that there are a number of places a Radio Station can be picked up from, not just DAB.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.