MY24 Ultimate - Heated Washer Jets?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Hello, new user, new to Volvo. After missing out on a couple of older fully loaded Inscription Pro's, I was seduced by a Volvo ex-fleet car, a 2023 B4 Ultimate Dark. Ticks all the same bells and whistles as my outgoing Mazda CX-30 GT Sport Tech (albeit at nearly twice the price :o ) but what I can't see is whether or not this iteration of the XC40 has heated washer jets. Can anyone confirm their presence or absence? TIA
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Welcome to the forum. XC40 is standard equipped with heated Bosch jet wiper system, see details here:
https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-re ... ing-safer/
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

It might claim innovation, but my Citroen BX in 1985 had the washers jets on the arm (only a single wiper as the screen was huge) :-),
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Yep, same on my Citroen BX back in the 80s. Definitely not new technology.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Felindre wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:40 am It might claim innovation, but my Citroen BX in 1985 had the washers jets on the arm (only a single wiper as the screen was huge) :-),
And oddly, Volvo didn't start fitting heated jets until about 20 years later as they are pretty much worthless in most of the countries they sold their cars in. Indeed the only reason they started putting them on was because the pop out washer mechanisms a lot of the manufacturers started to implement were freezing up. Fun fact! Heated washer jets are not designed to heat up the washer fluid. If your washers are frozen, it's because you have got your washer fluid mix wrong
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

m@rk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:58 am Heated washer jets are not designed to heat up the washer fluid. If your washers are frozen, it's because you have got your washer fluid mix wrong
So true. Washer jets are heated to melt potential ice build-up, not to heat the washer liquid. There’s no heating in the tubes supplying fluid to the jets, a summer washer fluid (or water) will eventually freeze in the tubes in below zero Celsius conditions.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Thanks for the confirmation - it seemed an odd omission from the spec. I knew that the heat was just to melt local icing - eventually!.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

As an additional note, the washer jets are built into the wiper blade arms rather than nipples on the bonnet which means the fluid goes just where it needs to but yes they are heated on all XC40s
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde