Volvo Extended Warranty via Car Care Plan - Any views?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DJB14

Post by DJB14 »

Hi
My XC40 B4 is coming to the end of the Volvo Selektcar warranty (which gave me a further 9 months’ warranty after the standard 3 years).

I’ve been quoted £560 for a year’s extension by Volvo. When I rang the contact number, they confirmed that the plan was being administered by Car CarePlan Ltd obo Volvo - and that they also administer for other marques also. Cover is only provided on a yearly basis, so that they can hike the price each year I presume.

I’d rather go with a direct main dealer warranty, but there doesn’t seem to be a real alternative warranty-wise. I love the car (except for the appalling mpg), but in less than 10 months the dealer has replaced the tailgate struts (£800 plus) and I had a problem with the main console which wouldn’t switch off - the dealer had the car for a day and provided a hire car. No complaints at all about the treatment from my dealer (Rylands, now Syntners Warrington), but I am concerned about hefty repair bills which seem to be fairly common.

I can read the exclusion clauses on the warranty policy doc myself (and probably convince myself that it’s not worth it), but does anyone have any real-world experience of claiming on this warranty ?

Thanks
David

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Many dealers will offer their own packages around warranty and service. If you have a good relationship with Sytners Warrington then it might be worth a quick chat with their service team to wee what they can do
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

No experience but as often mentioned it's pretty damning that most manufacturers only provide a 3 year warranty and on top of that don't even provide the extended warranties themselves but farm it out to a third party with a lower level of cover.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
DJB14

Post by DJB14 »

m@rk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:56 am Many dealers will offer their own packages around warranty and service. If you have a good relationship with Sytners Warrington then it might be worth a quick chat with their service team to wee what they can do
That was my first port of call, but they don’t offer anything in-house. I don’t think that’s unusual.
DJB14

Post by DJB14 »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:17 am No experience but as often mentioned it's pretty damning that most manufacturers only provide a 3 year warranty and on top of that don't even provide the extended warranties themselves but farm it out to a third party with a lower level of cover.
Agreed. I’ve come from Hyundai and I do miss the 5 year warranty.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

It is damming that many manufacturers still only offer a 36-month warranty, and with the almost certain eye watering repair costs these modern cars bring, would not own one out of warranty. There are a few on this forum who have given me an unjust hard time moving from Volvo after 6-years and two XC40's, but the 1st of March will bring a new era of 10-years peace of mind motoring in the from of a fabulous Lexus NX, and so looking forward to it.
Last edited by Deleted User 4737 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

It's Peace of Mind.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Glad you agree!!
gedger

Post by gedger »

Car warranties are like insurance, they are priced based on past claims plus an allowance for profit and inflation. So the £560 quoted by Volvo is what they and Carplan think the likely average costs will be for an XC40. Quite a sobering figure when Toyota includes it in the service cost.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Indeed. I don't intend keeping my car longer than 3 years because of the warranty which is when I usually change anyway. A longer warranty would be good though to give more flexibility including delivery times.

I assume that the level of warranty remains the same during the 10 years for Toyota/Lexus or do exclusions come in? Is there mileage limitations?

It's a pity they don't make anything I fancy at the moment, but in the future who knows. Assuming they continue the 10 year warranty.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.