Software issue at service and now no safety features

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
BulletProofCrow

Post by BulletProofCrow »

Hi all

First time post needing some advice.

XC40 B4 (MY23) went in for its first service last year, during the service it failed to take the software update, requiring it to be plugged into a Volvo laptop and still had issues. Left the car with the dealership, was told the following day service and software update done.
Went to collect and the camera at the front developed a fault affecting the adaptive headlights, anti collision and main beam functions, which I think are controlled by a camera in the roof.
Vehicle returned to me and booked in for some time later.
Vehicle been with the dealer for close to three weeks now and got an update today.
Lines of enquiry were such “did you get the fault when you installed the dash cam?” Never had a fault until the vehicle was with the dealer. Dash cam is powered off the cigarette lighter not hardwired.

They’ve now disclosed the vehicle has a majorly wiring fault and no time frame to fix.

They previously asked permission to “strip” some of the interior of the vehicle to do further investigation.
Questions to the group are
1) any known fault that might cause this
2) car is on Volvo Care lease - with a live complaint, any experience of what I can expect?

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

You have had no issues until this service, failure to download then highlighted a potential problem that has now been investigated to a major wiring fault. Its probably a fault in the loom during manufacture, and even though this can sound alarming on a new car, the real questions are, can it be fixed and how long will it take. Then take it from there.