Anyone ordered an EX30?

The place to discuss everything else..
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

Wondering if any XC 40 owners are tempted by the EX 30. I had a quick delve into the EX30 forum which obviously has very little content. I understand there are not even any demonstrators yet in UK. It must be quite an act of faith to put in an order without having seen or driven the car but in spite of that my dealership says they have plenty of orders. There are of course several you tube and press reviews which are pretty favourable. The cons of the car seem to be lack of rear space, small boot and virtually all the controls and commands having to be put through the central display - there is no driver display at all, Very minimalist! The EX30 just might not appeal to most XC40 owners because of its size, Don’t know what the waiting times are but Volvo must be tempted to give the EX30 some priority. Given the delays some are experiencing with new XC40s, it could be that the launch of the EX 30 might prove problematic.
XC40 B3 Plus in Silver Dawn. Ordered 30 Nov 23, handover 11 Dec 23.

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Have received emails from a local dealership, TMS Hinkley, advising that the ex30 is in the showroom and inviting me to take a test drive and I might consider it in about 12 months

Interestingly and surprised an insurance quote for an EX30 single motor and extended range came out at £59 more than the quote for my xc40 insurance quote.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The lack of drivers display is the biggest NO from me. It would be great car for my misses, except she has poor vision in her left eye (a parasite picked up when she was a child) which doesn't affect her driving but it means as the speed is only displayed on the screen in the middle she'd be constantly turning her head right round to see the speed with her right eye.

Who makes these stupid decisions??
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yeah, that's what put me off. I like the exterior design but the dashboard is a big no no from me. Unfortunately other manufacturers are going down the big centre display route which just doesn't look right, but at least they still have a driver display.

Would suit my wife as she finds the XC40 a bit big for her liking, she loved her Minis, but I've gone luke warm on EVs now so it will be a petrol I think.

That's a good price for the insurance as that's one of my concerns.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

Felindre wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:52 pm The lack of drivers display is the biggest NO from me.
Me too, I don't understand this obsession with a single huge display in the centre, I can only assume that it is cheaper as it's the same for all markets? I'm also not a fan of touch screens, in my view if you can't operate a control without looking at it then it's a safety issue. As for Tesla's latest fad of replacing the indicator stalk with steering wheel buttons....
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Added the EX30 to short list but too slow to emerge. Had test drive in the new Lexus LBX, its a bit on the small size but a fabulous car all the same, the cabin is outstanding and fully understand why its Whatcar car of the year, anyone out there looking for a small crossover should add this one to shortlist - and the 10 year warranty just adds to the ownership package.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

At £38k the ER version is definitely good value for a decent-range EV compared to the rest of the market. If I wanted an EV I'd probably try and arrange an extended test drive to see whether I could live with the ridiculous dash arrangement. If an excellent voice control system obviated the need to poke the central screen while driving then it might be something I could live with.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

My misses needs a new car for driving around town and she wanted the EX30. Initially, it looked like a great option for city driving, but we decided against becoming early adopters of an untested platform with serious software issues that paused deliveries and forced production delays. It seems Volvo needs more time to iron out AAOS, after 2 years from launch C40 / XC40 EV is still plagued with bugs, not to mention problems with mild-hybrids that share the same software platform. We ended up ordering the new Lexus LBX that’s similar in price and with 90 mpg in city traffic returns in our use case a lower driving cost per mile than EX30.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

You won't be disappointed with the LBX. Having tested a Toyota Yaris Cross for a long term review, its a really impressive city car. The LBX mirrors this general concept whilst adding their usual flair of luxury.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

gedger wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:27 am
Felindre wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:52 pm The lack of drivers display is the biggest NO from me.
Me too, I don't understand this obsession with a single huge display in the centre, I can only assume that it is cheaper as it's the same for all markets? I'm also not a fan of touch screens, in my view if you can't operate a control without looking at it then it's a safety issue. As for Tesla's latest fad of replacing the indicator stalk with steering wheel buttons....
Safety should be top of the agenda and surely having to look sideways to check speed etc. goes against that. And what are Tesla thinking! A lot of things have been brought in just to be different and safety and usability seems to have slipped down the pecking order. VW are having to return to a more sensible arrangement for heating controls etc. I see.

Are controls and displays etc. part of the NCAP rating system? If not, they should be.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.