Will Volvo Change Tack?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Further to comments on various threads about EVs in general and the charging infrastructure etc. it seems to be doom and gloom now as regards sales with various manufacturers changing their plans and Volvo even dropping Polestar!

As a result plans for new factories and battery production will likely not happen.

As per the title though I wonder what Volvo will do? Will they have to change their much lauded plans to go all electric by 2030? And its a pity for the recently launched EX30 as it's a good looking, smaller car at not too bad a price.

Mention has been made of the Chinese flooding the market but I can't see that happening? Without the charging infrastructure sales won't increase much above business users, enthusiasts and those who can charge at home and residuals will take a big dive.

Thoughts?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I think it all hinges on what our respective Governments decide we are allowed to buy and drive. Car manufacturers can only do what they're told to.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

EV's are the future and will happen, fossil fuels will go the way of the dinosaur - simple. Governments tend to follow opinion they rarely decide. However logistics dictate the path will be bias towards evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

I would be keen to buy an EV but the following still persuade me against for the time-being: generally higher cost of EVs (although the EX30 seems good value); the cost of installing a charging point at home (£1000 plus?); the higher insurance premiums; the lack of sufficient and serviceable public charging points. And new EVs will attract VED from 2025, including the premium/luxury rate if price over £40k. Where are the incentives for potential private owners?
XC40 B3 Plus in Silver Dawn. Ordered 30 Nov 23, handover 11 Dec 23.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Interesting thought, will Volvo change course for the 2030 electric only, I don’t believe they will but it all depends on the market I don’t know how other countries in Europe , the states are doing with their ev infrastructure roll out it’s probably better than ours. The uk is probably an important market for Volvo and it’s not inconceivable that they may continue B3/B4 or a replacement xc40 for some markets beyond 2030. One of the biggest mistakes Volvo have made is ditching the plug in xc40, why didn’t they just put a bigger battery in the car , like what they have done in the new Tiguan, this would obviously have increased the range and bought it up to the standard of other plug ins.

Polestar stopped that would be dramatic, again this depends on other countries infrastructure and I believe that Polestar is not such a big deal in the uk at present.

Regards private ownership of Ev , the bottom has already fallen out on the residuals so for those thinking about EV there may be some bargains out there depending on your circumstances, for me i wouldn’t contemplate an EV without home charging but if you have a home charger you can now put 50kwh that will cost £3.50 into the car overnight and probably give around 200 miles.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:38 pm I think it all hinges on what our respective Governments decide we are allowed to buy and drive. Car manufacturers can only do what they're told to.
I don't think it will be in their hands and as with diesel they are leading the public down a dead end. It's one thing forcing manufacturers and us down a particular route but it's got to be feasible and doable and electric seems far from that. 2030 and 2035 seems like a long way away but with what needs doing it isn't really. Current politicians may feel Ok about that at the moment but as we get nearer they will be getting decidely twitchy as it could turn into a real mess at that time. Sunak obviously saw that which is why the ban reverted back to 2035.

Without all the charging points required it just can't happen and private companies won't want to take the risk.

Volvo have a 48% stake in Polestar and are looking to offload all of it, so not just UK but globally.

EV will probably happen, unless a real alternative emerges, but I think it will take much longer than currently (pun intended!) planned as governments will only go so far. Poll Tax anyone!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Given as you say, residuals are taking a beating, I was also thinking that an EV could make a good second-hand buy as at one point I was thinking about an EV as a second car. Not so sure now as residuals could fall again as third owners might not be queuing up for cars with complex software and diminished support and batteries close to end of life? Nevermind the cost of insurance.

EVs as a concept have so much going for them but unfortunately as so is often the case, especially where politics are concerned and it doesn't fit with the agenda, insufficient thought has been given to the bigger picture and what happens past the first owner and repairs etc. And who thought it was a good idea to have the battery pack form part of the structure? Hardly makes for cost effective replacement does It?

gripross

Post by gripross »

I remember paying an awful lot of money back in the day on a 3D telly. we were told it was the way to go etc only to find out some years later i had wasted my money. Too many questions at the moment regarding inrfastucture charging.The UK has lots of town houses and charging a car from these poses issues. I dont want to queue to charge my car if i decide to go on holiday etc and now that most people who were onboard with EVs have now made their purchase and company car drivers have theirs...the dealers are left try to hit sales figures set by the government that they can't achieve unless offering massive discounts. But this in turn has impacted on the residuals of the ones who have already bought. My dealer was saying a guy had had his EV for a year and contemplated an upgrade. But the dealer was so embarrassed by what he could offer as part ex that he said i advise driving for a few more years. The battery pack issue when car goes to second/third owner means its as if they are throwaway car and prices will surely rise when buying on PCP etc because of the poor residuals. Add to this hefty insurance poor range in winter and welll ....its a no from me.
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Volvo may well want to pursue BEV oblivion, but hopefully the Chinese are a bit more savvy and will "influence" the direction in which they go.
Having said that, last I heard, Labour has pledged to bring the 2035 date back to 2030 if elected, so who knows? Buy your ICE cars while you still can!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
gripross

Post by gripross »

Everyone hasn't got the means to go out and buy an electric car so if labour bring this in in 2030 i think it will just destroy the uk car market. Not as many new sales and so prices will just rise leading to a spiral of motoring costs full stop
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21