Would you lease an XC40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JMR

Post by JMR »

Hi,
I need to change my XC40 for one with Adaptive Cruise Control.
Unfortunately, it seems Volvo only include this feature bundled with other stuff I don't want (eg Sunroof) in their top of the range "ultimate" model.
I'm thinking B3, but the price point for "Ultimate" is too rich to buy on PCP - so I've looked at leasing it over 4 yrs with Volvo - which at face value, keeps the monthly repayments a bit lower etc etc.
I've no experience of leasing, and wondering if this is a good way forward?
Any thoughts very welcome.
R-Design T3 Auto FWD + Climate, Versatility, Power Seats & Park Assist. October 2020.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's been my bugbear recently with Volvo, along with other manufacturers, forcing you to have a pano roof to get other things that you want.

Bear in mind that with PCP you will not own the car unless you pay the final payment and that even with leasing you won't have any warranty unless you extend it at your cost.

I think in the main leasing works best for business users who get a monthly allowance and are looking to change every 3 years or so.

But non-business users do do it as long as you don't mind putting down a lump sum and making the monthly payments for 4 years and then not owning the car at the end.

I've never leased, but thought about it with my new car. Given that with most of my cars over recent years on hire-purchase or PCP I've changed them at the end of the period or before then I've never actually owned them and leasing would probably have made more sense financially!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The big difference is that at the end of PCP you have residual value in the car. With lease you have no value from what you have paid out, and in my daughters experience they will try to charge you hundreds of pounds to fix what would be regarded as normal wear and tear, e.g. scuffs on the bumper.
In my view you are throwing money away.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

True, but my last XC40 was the first car I've ever had where the residual value was actually more than the final payment and the way that residuals are going that might not be the case again. With my previous VW and Audis I was effectively starting again everytime as the part-ex was never more.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
itsmarc

Post by itsmarc »

I'm leasing my XC40 - I was contemplating buying again (as I had with previous three cars), and I had considered going electric but I'm just not quite ready (I do most of my driving on long weekend drives into the Scottish highlands). So as a stop-gap, I leased this XC40 for three years. Before the lease is up, I'll consider the EV question again, but I think if I went EV, I may lease again because I think they make a better rental proposition than a purchase.

I'm not new to leasing - I used to lease many years ago - so I'm familiar with the pros and cons (although most of them are no different to PCPs - e.g. mileage, charges for any damage above wear-and-tear etc).
2024 B4P Ultimate Dark | Silver Dawn (all features present and correct)
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Agreed, my first 2 xc40 were traded in long before the pcp finish date and was able to retain my original equity or deposit for the next deal, on my current car I believe that there will be no equity if I keep the car to the end of the pcp plan. As i don’t intend to keep the car after the warranty period I will certainly look at leasing next time around.

Had a check around leasing an xc40 , there are literally hundreds of companies and found this,
XC40 B4 plus
10k miles , 3 months payments down
24 months = £491 pm
36 months.= £426. Pm
48 months = £394 pm

These payments include the yearly car tax and because most xc40 break the £40k luxury car tax barrier that a big consideration, when the time comes something like this may be attractive to me, but not to others who want to keep their cars.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my