Left Turn Indicator Malfunction

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
The2wardz

Post by The2wardz »

Since new I have randomly been getting the message ‘Left Turn Indicator Malfunction’ when I attempt to use the left indicator. I do not know if the external indicator is working or not when this message is displayed.
The car has been back to the dealer twice. First time they reseated an earth cable and the second they changed the rear indicator.
It is still doing it, and a few days ago the message appeared even when I was not indicating.
I called the dealer again, to be told it was a known fault and Volvo are working on a fix.
Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what has the dealer told you?
Volvo XC40 MY24 B4P Ultimate Dark in Fjord Blue
Ordered: 19th Jan 2023, Delivered 21st June 2023

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It appears to be a software bug. Topic discussed previously here: viewtopic.php?t=3739
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

As eugen61 says, it's a software "feature". Apparently the developers are working on a fix so it happens for the right turn indicator too....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
gedger

Post by gedger »

I understand the fix will lower the drivers window and the correct hand signal for turning left will be shown on the display. When the indicator is cancelled the drivers window will be raised.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gedger wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 am I understand the fix will lower the drivers window and the correct hand signal for turning left will be shown on the display. When the indicator is cancelled the drivers window will be raised.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The2wardz

Post by The2wardz »

Hi, I searched the forums for ‘indicator’ so not sure why I didn’t find the original post referenced by eugen61, maybe I spelt it wrong.
Does anyone know what happens on the outside when the error occurs? Do the external indicators still flash and if so do they flash as normal or do they flash the same speed as the internal sound?
Volvo XC40 MY24 B4P Ultimate Dark in Fjord Blue
Ordered: 19th Jan 2023, Delivered 21st June 2023
riskymoth

Post by riskymoth »

My MY24 B3P has done this twice now - the first time it "corrected" itself the next time the indicators were used, but it recorded an error in the Car Status app - later, when parked while still displaying the error in the app (but not in the driver's display), I got out and checked the indicators, but nothing seemed to be amiss externally. Upon restart the error cleared from the app. A few weeks later it very briefly (a couple of seconds) displayed the error in the driver's display, along with the accompanying rapid clicking, but sorted itself out while the left indicators were still on and didn't log any errors in the car status app. But not managed to get out and check the lights while they're currently glitching - hopefully an OTA update will fix this "bug".
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

The2wardz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:24 am do they flash the same speed as the internal sound?
The sound is artificially generated.

In days gone by, the indicator sound was the sound of the relay as the bulb came on and went off again.

In the Volvo, this sound is computer generated so whilst it is designed to coincide with the bulbs going on or off (more or less), you will notice sometimes, the "click" varies and sometimes appears to speed up or slow down. This is a safety feature however the lights are still flashing at a constant rate. In other words, not in time with the sound.

So don't assume that because you can here an indicator click, anything is happening outside of the car
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde