Faulty Fuel Injector - B3 2023

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 pm Why have these engines started to have issues? Would have thought they were the tried and tested T4 etc. engines with the mild-hybrid added?
There seems to be far too many problems arising with these cars now even allowing for the fact that forums highlight them.
Volvo found itself in new territory adding mild-hybrid to the T engines. The complexity of a separate 48V circuit and implementation of new software requires testing during millions of miles in real driving conditions, no car manufacturer will spend that much time for testing. Data from customers will be used to improve and fix issues on the next vehicle production batch and already affected customers will be serviced for free during warranty. The inherent risk for early adopters is ending up as beta testers.
Last edited by eugen61 on Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

eugen61 - And what about when the warranty ends, 36-months is not long?? So glad next one is not Volvo and comes with over 25-years of tried and tested Hybrid Technology - by the sound of things it can't come too soon!!
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

BuzBox wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:42 am And what about when the warranty ends??
My personal experience from early adopting VAG’s 7 speed “dry” DSG gearbox: you end up swallowing thousands of pounds in repair costs.
Deleted User 4737

Agree with that very experience - a 7-speed DSG with Mechatronic failure. Thankfully the next one comes with a 10-yr warranty.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

ChrisLF, After 6,000 miles, I get the whooping noise now and then but it's got quieter. Definitely no grinding noise as you describe though. Maybe the former is a driving style thing? I tend to stop the auto-stop activating by giving the throttle the lightest "touch" immediately after lifting off. Allows a little more control through the Twisties.

C'mon oldie, that Toyota of yours must have been delivered by now!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Whooping noises, metallic grating noises, scratching noises, grinding noises - thankfully not experienced any from the two driven, but do feel for those who are.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

JFDIT - Yes, doesn't whoop as much as it did but still annoying when it does. I think you are right about driving style. Usually I'm very light footed but it occurs more often if I have to brake harder for some reason. As others have said still find it hard to understand that the noise is oil being moved as it sounds mechanical.

The stop start is a funny one. When starting the car for the first time the starter is very quiet, almost imperceptible. But when driving and coming to a halt if the engine stops and has to restart again quickly there's this noise of either engagement or a starter sound which is quite loud. I thought as the starter/generator was all one unit that this would all be silent and there wouldn't be any need for engagement as with a traditional starter.

Part of the problem for me is the coasting which is cutting the engine before coming to a standstill and then having to restart again quickly.

I've tried adjusting my driving style with mixed results. Sometimes I can keep the engine running by braking very gently but sometimes it will stop when the Autohold activates!

It's a pity they lowered the speed at which coasting activates or as I've said let you turn it off when not appropriate.

As I keep saying, far too complicated. When coming to a halt it may be coasting (I assume in neutral) and if not it has to activate the clutch and change gear/go into neutral and activate the mild-hybrid stop start as appropriate!!!!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Try a touch on the accelerator as lifting off it and before braking. Keeps the engine running during and after braking.

Definitely silent on engine restart, I'd get that checked.
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

What about pulling away from a dead stop with engine stopped? Any starter noise as you pull away?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Nope, whisper quiet. I've always been impressed with how quiet it is.
Lincolnshire England.