Tortoise mode and possible lost cylinder

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

Morning,

Back with yet another fault - driving along this morning, came to accelerate up to 60mph and the tortoise mode beeps up on the drivers display warning of reduced performance and then the engine feels like it lost a cylinder and was chugging away.

Stopped at traffic lights and it went back to normal - but still showed the error in the centre console - anybody had this with theirs?

2023MY B4 ultimate.

Screenshot_20231227_101833_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_101813_Gallery.jpg

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

A cylinder not firing in such a new engine is usually down to a loss of fuel or spark but the cause, especially if intermittent, could be anything. Best for dealer to check if a fault code has been stored!!
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

It's only got 6000 miles on it - going to get it checked out later
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

...had this for a short period before the last service. Ignition on/off reset it. I informed my servicing garage, and said it would be in before the booked service a week ahead if it recurred, but if not I wanted to make sure it had all codes read.

It didn't recur before that service, and there were no codes.

BUT...

after being on holiday without the car (which meant very little mileage after the service) it did recur on my first long journey. It wouldn't clear, and it was almost impossible to exceed 30 mph uphill. Very lumpy and mild kangarooing.

With the journey abandoned and the EML eventually lighting, we diverted via the servicing garage on the way back. They diagnosed same day, and codes indicated a spark problem om No.1 cylinder. They moved the plug to No.2, and the code moved with it. All 4 plugs replaced (at a cost of c£200 to Volvo under warranty) and all has been OK since.

Less than 9,000 miles, and the plugs are supposed to last 36K.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Deleted User 4737

Spark plugs today are of a much higher quality with superior materials, but if they take a knock and the insulator has even the finest hair-line crack, they will fail, same goes for the pencil coils fitted today. When a cylinder fails to fire in a new engine, suspect the spark plug first, then the pencil coil, then the injector.
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

Well they found no fault code but did check the spark plugs and said everything looked ok. First drive after this and it does feel different and less hesitant so maybe something was a bit unseated. Who knows but will be keeping an eye on it.
Deleted User 4737

When you say "less hesitant", are you still sensing some, you shouldn't be? With so much tech monitoring an engine, you do wonder why events like this does not store codes, the fault may have cleared but the event still happened!!
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

Nope not sensing any now - can't be certain but it coincides with the latest software update.
Stephendutton63

Post by Stephendutton63 »

Good afternoon
So we have had an issue very similar twice since purchase in December 2022 B4P Core Plus. Under moderate to heavy acceleration, car would begin to vibrate and go into limp mode showing the same fault as yours, it was also very lumpy on cold start
1st occasion, booked in, diagnosed as faulty injectors replaced happy days
6 months or so on, same symptoms, same outcome under moderate to heavy accelaration. Car booked into same garage to coincide with 1st service, and agreed to leave with until issue found and rectified. Dealer struggled to replicate so car remained with them for 3 weeks. fault finally reproduced and diagnosed as faulty injectors again. Said there was evidence of a sooty build up and questioned if car gets regular decent runs, it does.
Agreed to take car with the understanding should problem reoccur then even further investigation would be needed.
As we speak, and as expected no issues since, but now it's a 6 months waiting game. 1st fault occured after 6 months second one 6 months later.
Please post what the outcome and solution to your problem is once found.Good luck.
Regards, Steve
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

Thanks that's useful to know - they've said bring it back in if it happens again. Will update if it goes wrong again.