First Volvo but …

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
GeoffT

Post by GeoffT »

My son complained that I keep buying Honda Civics, so we have bought a new XC40 B3 Ultimate. Just trying to learn the system. A nice ride in a comfortable SUV. There are far fewer setting options compared to the Civic, and the Speed Limiter/Cruise control are trickier to use. As others have said, stopping the car to choose Speed Limiter or ACC in settings is frustrating. Having all the options on the steering wheel makes more sense. The auto speed limiter doesn’t work properly in Wales at the new 20mph zones. After seeing the sign, it drops to 20, but soon jumps to 30! I guess this is because the map data has not been updated for Wales.
Finally, the Volvo system for buying a new car is a nightmare. Communication between dealer, customer and Volvo UK is a shambles. Dealer had to take the car back from us since Volvo hadn’t registered it or taxed it. Hoping to recover it today, but still awaiting yet more emailed documents to sign. This puts me off ever buying another Volvo, despite the nice car. There is plenty of choice out there with less hassle.
XC40 B3 MY24 Mild Hybrid Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Google system, leather upholstery

percymon

Post by percymon »

Welcome to Volvo ownership - their new selling model certainly has some issues to iron out; isn't doing do much for their reputation and repeat customers.

As to swapping between ACC and speed limiter, why do you need to stop - i can switch endlessly between them in motion in my C40?

I do agree they could do with more functionality on the steering wheel - i'd love a button to switch one pedal driving on/off rather than having to go through the setting/driving menus every time
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

I thought a software update a while ago allowed you to swap between limiter ACC and pilot assist using the left and right button on the left side of the wheen the same as on the Sensus cars.
I may be wrong though but thought that is what I read, mine is Sensus so does work this way.
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.
percymon

Post by percymon »

AndyN wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:31 pm I thought a software update a while ago allowed you to swap between limiter ACC and pilot assist using the left and right button on the left side of the wheen the same as on the Sensus cars.
I may be wrong though but thought that is what I read, mine is Sensus so does work this way.
My C40 uses the right button only on the left spoke to switch between pilot assist and adaptive cruise, no option for the speed limiter. left arrow on left spoke is redundant (one pedal driving on/off pleeeaaaaaasssssseeeeeeeeeeee Volvo)
GeoffT

Post by GeoffT »

I can switch between Pilot Assist and ACC on the steering wheel, but settings need altering in the central screen to move to Speed limit or Auto Speed limit. I don't want to be fiddling with settings while driving. If a 6 year old Honda Civic could manage this, I guess it isn't Rocket Science on a 2023 car. Reading posts on here, I gather that the Sensor system could do this, but the current (Google?) system can't
XC40 B3 MY24 Mild Hybrid Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Google system, leather upholstery
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

GeoffT wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:01 pm My son complained that I keep buying Honda Civics, so we have bought a new XC40 B3 Ultimate. Just trying to learn the system. A nice ride in a comfortable SUV. There are far fewer setting options compared to the Civic, and the Speed Limiter/Cruise control are trickier to use. As others have said, stopping the car to choose Speed Limiter or ACC in settings is frustrating. Having all the options on the steering wheel makes more sense. The auto speed limiter doesn’t work properly in Wales at the new 20mph zones. After seeing the sign, it drops to 20, but soon jumps to 30! I guess this is because the map data has not been updated for Wales.
Finally, the Volvo system for buying a new car is a nightmare. Communication between dealer, customer and Volvo UK is a shambles. Dealer had to take the car back from us since Volvo hadn’t registered it or taxed it. Hoping to recover it today, but still awaiting yet more emailed documents to sign. This puts me off ever buying another Volvo, despite the nice car. There is plenty of choice out there with less hassle.
This is at least the second car on here that has gone to a customer without being registered which is unbelievable. What would happen if the owner was stopped by the police or worse involved in an accident! Obviously Volvo are having to register and tax many more cars than individual dealers ever had to and it seems that some are falling through the cracks because of failures in their processes and systems and maybe insufficient staff. Under the old system the dealer would deal with this but I guess wouldn't check as it's now Volvos responsibility. The dealer would of course need to know the registration number though to put the plates on?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

If it were stopped by the Police it would be impounded, if it were in a crash any insurance would be void. Right choice to be moving from this brand and not a moment too soon.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Buzbox, why do you drive a Volvo?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

JFDIT wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:30 am Buzbox, why do you drive a Volvo?
So he can moan 😂😂
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

JFDIT. Its been a diminishing journey. First Edition 2018-2020 - Great. B4 2020-2023 - not so great. Now no AWD and many other things including the ordering process - time to choose another brand - arriving soon. Hope that answers your question? Chris John. I guess if you have a new one today there seems to be a lot to moan about. I will miss this forum though as there's been lots of interaction on what now seems continuous issues, in contrast, the forum on the next one hardly has any posted issues at all, and maybe why they always finish top on surveys!!
Last edited by Deleted User 4737 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.