First drive in XC40 B4

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chrisb

Post by Chrisb »

Hi everyone, my first post on the forum after having a test drive in the XC40 this morning in Reading . Must say how different the auto was compared to my manual diesel 150 Tiguan. Bearing in mind I haven’t driven an auto for a long time I noticed straight away when approaching a roundabout slowly and then trying to move away quickly, the hesitation which I presume is computer working out which gear to use was really quite noticeable, is this normal? Apart from this it was much quieter than the Tiguan and all round smoother. The new deal available at the moment, £4000FDC and 0% apr with 50% deposit is pretty good and because I am thinking of a PLUS with vapour grey, upgraded upholstery, and spare tyre it just stays under £40,000. :D Also opted for the SERVICE PLAN @£699. My one question to you guys is, has anyone tried to fit a FULL size spare in the boot? I did this with the Tiguan by re-making the boot floor with hole cut for wheel. As a temp. spare wheel is same diameter as a full one the only problem should be the height which hopefully I can overcome.My reason for this is long distance driving abroad on motorways!

Thanks Chris

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

I have a space saver wheel fitted but i guess its just that, a space saver wheel, and a full size should fit just don't know if the floor-lid will then lie flat? As regards to the auto-box, XC40's when first launched had an 8-speed torque-converter auto-box fitted, which was in my view a much better system and match for the car. They now have 7-speed dual-clutch systems fitted that do suffer hesitation characteristics has you quickly found out. Its the lag-time between clutches for the odd-even gear sets, all dual-clutch systems suffer this to a lesser or greater degree.
Last edited by Deleted User 4737 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Hi and welcome.

Yes, it can get its knickers in a twist sometimes. I had to brake quite hard the other day due to cars parked on both sides of the road, nearly came to a halt but then applied power. Nothing much happened but then suddenly lurched forward! Was wondering what the heck was going on and not very refined. Otherwise it's very smooth and the "box" works well.

I'd check about the being under £40k. As I fell foul of this. The price is under the threshold because of the discounts Volvo are applying but the VED is based on the full retail less the first year's VED.

As regards the spare there is some space between the space saver and topmost boot floor but I don't know if there is room for a full-size which is a big wheel. Also the 48v battery is under the boot floor proper.
Last edited by ChrisLF on Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Chrisb

Post by Chrisb »

BuzBox wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:27 pm I have a space saver wheel fitted but i guess its just that, a space saver wheel, and a full size should fit just don't know if the floor-lid will then lie flat? As regards to the auto-box, XC40's when first launched had an 8-speed torque-converter auto-box fitted, which was in my view a much better system and match for the car. They now have 7-speed dual-clutch systems fitted that do suffer hesitation characteristics has you quickly found out. Its the lag-time between clutches for the odd-even gear sets, all dual-clutch systems suffer this to a lesser or greater degree.
Hi buzbox, yes I realise boot lid probably won’t sit flat, this was the case in the Tiguan ,it sat up by approx 20mm but boot cover over this was fine, better than driving at 50mph on Italian motorways. I’ll have to get used to the auto .Thanks Chris
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Full size wheel is around 28" diameter whereas the space saver is around 24" diameter. Doubt it'll fit but not tried it. Also the back third of the boot floor is fixed....
On my FWD the 7 speed DCT box has much snappier gear changes and generally finds the right cog. It certainly picks up a lot quicker than my last XC40 AWD with 8 speed slush box. I'm pretty sure the box " learns" your driving style so you may find it improves with time.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Are those dims right? The tyre diameters need to be virtually the same whatever the rim size, especially if AWD which I know isn't the case here.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Just check the space saver and its an 18" rim with 4" tyre wall? with what looks like plenty of well space for a bit extra, but guess you will have to try a full size to find out. Again, all the dual-clutches I have tried have demonstrated some lag at some point, not really an issue when used to it, and not at all surprised to read JFDIT's is perfect as I guess many are?
Last edited by Deleted User 4737 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisb

Post by Chrisb »

Wow, I can’t keep up with all the reply’s! 👍please don’t be offended if I don’t answer individually!
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

See bellow the difference between 1.full size (235/55R18) and 2. space saver (125/80R18). Full size won’t fit in the boot without compromising the cover.

IMG_0133.jpeg

Last edited by eugen61 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

OK, just measured mine. Wheel with tyre is a little under 28" diameter. 20" Rim with 4" of tyre wall x 2 = 28" My space saver is 24" diameter. The shaped tyre well in the boot doesn't look like it'll take anything a lot bigger.

Space Saver wheels have a top speed and distance limitation, in part , due to the strain it puts on the diff
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.