First drive in XC40 B4

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chrisb

Post by Chrisb »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:13 pm They don't need to be equal, just the car can cope with the difference sizes. Hence the speed and distance limitations
Do the sums.
Rim size is in inches.
Tyre width is in millimeters.

The first number is the tyre width in my case 245mm
The second number, 45 for mine, is the tyre wall depth as a percentage of the tyre width so that's 110.25mm x 2 = 220.5mm = 8.7 inches. Add to 20 Inch rim and you get a total wheel diameter of 28.7 inches.

Using the same calculation my space saver is 18" rim plus 6.9" for tyre walls = Space Saver wheel size of 24.9 inches.

It's also worth noting that some of those replying may have the older non MHEV which doesn't have the 48v battery in the boot which limits space.
Thanks JFDIT, must admit I would never have thought it would be different size to the full size one 😳 looks like my full size spare will be going above the floor!. Thanks Chris

percymon

Post by percymon »

Chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm Hi everyone, my first post on the forum after having a test drive in the XC40 this morning in Reading . Must say how different the auto was compared to my manual diesel 150 Tiguan. Bearing in mind I haven’t driven an auto for a long time I noticed straight away when approaching a roundabout slowly and then trying to move away quickly, the hesitation which I presume is computer working out which gear to use was really quite noticeable, is this normal? Apart from this it was much quieter than the Tiguan and all round smoother. The new deal available at the moment, £4000FDC and 0% apr with 50% deposit is pretty good and because I am thinking of a PLUS with vapour grey, upgraded upholstery, and spare tyre it just stays under £40,000. :D Also opted for the SERVICE PLAN @£699. My one question to you guys is, has anyone tried to fit a FULL size spare in the boot? I did this with the Tiguan by re-making the boot floor with hole cut for wheel. As a temp. spare wheel is same diameter as a full one the only problem should be the height which hopefully I can overcome.My reason for this is long distance driving abroad on motorways!

Thanks Chris
Given your concerns over long distance driving you'd probably be better saving the cost of the space saver and buying a used full size wheel/tyre to use on those longer trips - yes it consumes boot space but you at least have the confidence that if you do get a flat you can proceed as normal for hundreds of miles if needbe
Chrisb

Post by Chrisb »

Hi percymon,I have been thinking about not having space saver at all but after my return visit to dealer this morning a guy who seemed to be quite knowledgeable said I needed to have space saver to get the correct configuration for a full size! I can only assume the battery is located differently but I have no idea. Anyways I have taken lots of pictures and measurements and if I am right the full size will be above the floor by70-80 mm, this is fine for me because I can remake the floor no problem. Thanks Chris
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

No, it's nothing to do with the battery as having differences would be impractical and not viable for the manufacturer.

Mine was built without the space saver and I then had it fitted by the dealer before collection. The differences being in the foam mouldings holding the tyre repair inflation kit and the sub-floor tray as there is less under floor storage with the space saver installed.

If it was me I'd use the space saver for UK use and the full-size spare for the European trips.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.