Would You Buy Another

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Having experienced driving an XC40 for some three years, and looked at what else is out there, am more than likely going to get another. Yes, only 3 year warranty is a slight concern, but I ain’t going to buy a car I don’t like because it has a longer warranty. I still think the XC40 is one of the smartest looking SUV’s both inside and out, in the sector, and safety which Volvo is renowned for, top trumps any warranty for me. Yes it has some issues, but show me any forum that does not flag issues. Would you buy another?

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I would definitely buy another one. My MY2020 still has 15 months left from its extended warranty, I plan to order a new XC40 at the end of next year. By then major bugs in AAOS will be ironed out and mild-hybrid mechanical design faults will be corrected.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

probably not
unable able to get same spec as my current my20 inscription not impressed in the direction Volvo have gone will probably keep this one
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I bought another after 18 months of CbV ownership.
I buy what I like, don't care about a few alleged extra MPG or warranties that require servicing every 10k miles with numerous get out clauses for wear and tear. Pointless.
The XC40 has Tonka Toy styling and looks as fresh today as it did back in 2018. Compare it to the BMW X1 or RAV4 of 2018.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

aj05, I'm disappointed with the direction all manufacturers are going. But a lot of that is by the direction of our elected representatives in Government. So it's clearly our fault...
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We wouldn't buy another XC40 as ours was a lemon however the XC60 we replaced it with could be replaced with another XC60.
Nothing wrong with the design and quality of the XC40 but the XC60 feels like bit more 'premium' and is better finished internally.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

stu22 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:22 pm We wouldn't buy another XC40 as ours was a lemon however the XC60 we replaced it with could be replaced with another XC60.
Nothing wrong with the design and quality of the XC40 but the XC60 feels like bit more 'premium' and is better finished internally.

Not exactly comparing apples with apples, XC60 bigger and costs more. That said, if I was looking for an SUV of that size, XC60 would certainly be top of my list!
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Just in the process of changing. My car was 3 years old this week and it's company car. I am currently sitting on 61,000 miles.

The car has been faultless and a pleasure to drive and own. The dealer experience has been mixed with me using 3 different dealerships during this time due to house moves etc.

For it's replacement, I got down to 3 cars. I have to go full electric this time (I currently have the PHEV)

1. Volvo XC40 Single Motor Long Range Ultimate
2. Volvo EX30 Long Range Ultimate
3. BMW i4

The EX30 was ruled out as there was no way to physically see one and it had a 10 month minimum lead time

I went for the BMW because of running costs. I don't need an SUV (never did) which makes the Volvo less efficient and BMW have subsidised rates with Ionity (they part own them) so the cost of public charging across the UK and Europe will be significantly less than the Volvo (think £80 per month at least out of my own pocket). Had it not been for this, I would have possibly stuck with the Volvo
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Drove the original 2018 first edition XC40 D4 R Design. Driving now a 2020 B4 R design. The XC40 is a 6-year old design next year, and yes, a testament to its original design is that it has remained virtually unchanged since launch. But in my view it is now starting to show its age in comparison to new releases; even its own stablemate the EX30 clearly demonstrates this. Choosing another XC40 now would take the design to 9-years come sale time and with so much talent out there pushing design boundaries, feel choosing again would be a big mistake. Just the other day I went to see the new MG4 EV, an amazing EV with a City Range of over 400-miles for under 30k, not quite for me but amazing all the same. There is just too much talent out there to keep going with a 6-year old design, so for me for now, no 3rd XC40.
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

Not a chance too many annoyances with it.

Poor standard tyres with no grip ( eco contract 6 ).
Poor 360 cameras ( my Tiguan and 3 series were significantly better ).
Poor infotainment support for media.
The digital dash is very limited in what it shows ( maps or no maps ).
Blind spots at the rear.
Laggy acceleration.
Lane keep assist interferes too much even when switched off.

This is a MY23 B4 mild hybrid front wheel drive.

Next car who knows - test drove the Sportage which seemed better but not fully convinced.