Rattles, squeaks and other niggles

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
KD28

Post by KD28 »

Hi.
I want to replace my aging Merc estate with a small(ish) SUV.
XC40 is currently top of my list - looking to spend c£32k for B3 Plus up to a year old.
However, doing my research I see there's quite a few posts from owners complaining of irritating rattles, vibrations etc. I'm not sure I could live with that!
Is there really a problem with unidentified noises that are difficult to identify?
What are current owners experiences?
Any and all advice gratefully received.

Metroman

Post by Metroman »

no rattles or squeaks on mine after almost 4 years. Sometimes the interface where the central screen trim and the screen heating / volume controls are located can make a noise but this is very intermittent and seems to be temperature dependant ( higher temp= more likely). There are easy fixes for this if it does occur frequently.
It's ( or was - can't comment on the newer variants) a very well put together car.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

No rattles or squeaks in our 202 T4, other than the occasional one as Metroman describes above. Usually a finger inserted into the gap momentarily is enough to quieten it.
Ours was a late Belgian built car. Hate to say it but owners of the Chinese built ones seem to suffer from far more problems and build quality issues.
Ours has been faultless so far (4.5 years)
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Perky

Post by Perky »

Yes, vibration noise from the dashboard. The service also identified the noise but could not locate it. They said the only way to get rid of it was to dismantle the whole dashboard and reassemble it again. I didn't want that so I have to hit the side of the centre console and get a temporarily relief. Annoying but I can live with it.
T4 AWD Oct 2019
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Current and previous XC40 are probably the quietest rattle free cars I've ever owned.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
This may be wrong but I have read that XC40 built in China are for the Asian market only and the European market suppled by the Ghent factory.

As for rattles and noise I am on my third XC40, T3, B4 and a plug in T4 now, none of the cars have suffered from any rattles or vibrations from new.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

No rattles or squeaks here
Cars ok as well 😜
Last edited by Chris John on Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Our daughter is on her second XC40 and we are on our first. No problems with squeaks or rattles on any of them so far.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Had a slight rattle behind the central display on the first one which was temperature dependant which I left, otherwise fine.

New one has a creak in the plastic behind the left-hand rear seat, which goes when someone sits in it. Must investigate. Otherwise it is very smooth and quiet.

And it doesn't suffer from the groans from the brakes at very slow speed, rattling from the suspension over speed bumps and the noise from the steering at slow speed. It is very nice to drive.

Both my cars were built in Ghent.
Last edited by ChrisLF on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Its hard manufacturing cars to be rattle free, different road surfaces, temperatures etc. Not noticed the XC40 to be any worse than the rest out there!! Having said that, seats can sometime squeak needing the runners re-greased.