Centre console crash

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Nsackley

Post by Nsackley »

Hi all,

Something rather concerning happened with the centre console this morning on my 2020 XC40... twice (in the space of 2 minutes) on my journey to work, it closed down & restarted.

Apple car play was in use, playing audio and using Google maps
Heated steering wheel was on
Temp 0 degrees
Had been driving for approx. 15 minutes

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what caused it & how can it be prevented in the future?

The car's just had a service, where I enquired about a recurring issue where the radio reverts to FM after using Apple car play for audio, I was informed it is a known fault & that the software is up to date. Now I'm out of my 3 year service plan, I'm reluctant to take it back to a dealer (unless win the lottery of course)

Any thoughts gratefully received.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I suspect this is an Apple issue, not Sensus problem. Apple CarPlay can create such crashes.
Make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest software version 17.1.1.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

There is at lest one other thread with the sensus head locking up or crashing. I posted around a fortnight back that mine locked up dead and didn't come back till it had been left for a while.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Nsackley

Post by Nsackley »

OK thank you.
I'm still on 16.1, no issues (of this kind) until this morning, will try it with an update, although if my current iOs was at fault, it would have done it since using that version?
Nsackley

Post by Nsackley »

Felindre wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:59 am There is at lest one other thread with the sensus head locking up or crashing. I posted around a fortnight back that mine locked up dead and didn't come back till it had been left for a while.
Thank you - found your thread, looks familiar but appears that it's not a recurring problem.

I did try searching the forums for the same issue, if I'd heard of the word 'infotainment' I'd have used it to search ;)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Nsackley wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:56 am I'm still on 16.1, no issues (of this kind) until this morning, will try it with an update, although if my current iOs was at fault, it would have done it since using that version?
Not necessarily. Your Apple CarPlay runs on a one year old software (iOS 16.1) whereas Google Maps app you were using might be updated on your iPhone to its latest version (nov.2023) with potential for compatibility issues.

Since you mentioned this happening while using Apple CarPlay my suspicion is Apple issue. Apple CarPlay gets updated through iPhone. Before going to a dealer the easiest step to eliminate Apple as being the culprit is updating your iPhone to the latest iOS version. If the issue persists after that at least you know it’s the car’s Sensus software to blame.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

A similar thing happened to me in my 2018 XC40 some two years ago. I was at the beginning (some 5 minutes) of a few hours drive, trying to set the navigation to the hotel where we were about to stay. There was no Apple CarPlay involved although I think I might have had the hotel location sent via Volvo app. However, the whole thing froze (although it was mid summer) for a couple of couple of seconds and then restarted. I think the whole Sensus was unavailable for like a minute or so and I was able to use it normally afterwards.
Such thing never happened again although I am using that same road quite often, because that's the way for me to go to the highway, plus that's usually the road where I am setting up my Sensus navigation destinations.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

There's been a few reports of the centre display going blank etc. but you really want to worry when it's the drivers display that goes blank. This happened to me a few times but then fortunately sorted itself out and it never happened again.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Nsackley

Post by Nsackley »

Thanks all, iOs updated* and (so far) it hasn't happened again

I see there's another update to the iOs now which fixes an issue with the previous one. This is why I rarely update until I stop reading reports of problems :)
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Nsackley wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:39 am Thanks all, iOs updated* and (so far) it hasn't happened again

I see there's another update to the iOs now which fixes an issue with the previous one. This is why I rarely update until I stop reading reports of problems :)
You should always update to the latest when it become available…..especially when there are security fixes
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras