Google radio voice control - again

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gedger

Post by gedger »

There's been a few post about not being able to select radio stations using voice control under AAOS but for me no definitive answer. To send some feedback to Volvo I created a video showing how the voice control is current working on my car. This is after doing a console reset and a modem (heated screen button) reset. Some questions for others.

1. Are my radio station names the same for your car. For instance "Absolute Radio 80s" is listed as "Absolute Radio 80s St".

2. I have not found any way of getting the radio/console to rescan the DAB muxes, is there a way?

3. In the manual via the App there are no options shown for the radio (confirmed in practice) apart from being able to select News/Traffic reports. etc. However, when you look at at an online manual some cars obviously do have options (https://www.volvocars.com/en-eg/support ... 512a46bd2b). I presume these are for none UK cars?

2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue

AldridgeAndy

Post by AldridgeAndy »

Interesting video, have to admit I’ve not tried voice control for radio stations but I might now!
2024 MY - Volvo XC40 B3 Plus Dark
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I've only got Radio 2 DAB in my Favourites and if I ask Google to play Radio 2 DAB it selects another source which is not tuned in properly.

I therefore select using the central display and can turn it on and off using the big control knob. But if I haven't used the radio for a couple of days then it won't turn on using the control knob I have to use the display again, go figure.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Ask for the station name EXACTLY as displayed on the Source you want and there is a fair chance it'll bring it back. eg BBC Radio 2. DON'T make up your own!
Let's be fair about this, when you ask for Radio 2 it's on FM, DAB, TuneIn etc. I've posted before about this, try it out. It works for me.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
gedger

Post by gedger »

Have been doing some more digging on this and I can confirm that the issue is definitely with AAOS / Volvo. I have checked the official DAB multiplexer list and the names that are licensed to be used. For instance for Bauer radio they are listed here.

https://www.radiodns.uk/authorities/planetradio.co.uk

I have confirmed that these are the actually names that actually appear in the stream. So the issue is that the Volvo head / AAOS unit is adding erroneous characters to the end of the official DAB broadcast name, in my case it's the 'St' added at the end of some stations. I suspect other stations may have the same issue? This is then of course screwing up the Google voice selection. There is a secondary issue with how AAOS is interpreting 'St' as Saint, Street, Stream which is probably not helping.

It would be really useful if others could check how the names of radio stations are actually appearing on the head unit. Is everyone seeing 'St' added to the end of Planet Rock / Absolute 80s? Any others?
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Some of my AAOS DAB radio station names are suffixed with St. Just ask for the Station Name AS LISTED IN your AAOS DAB Station list and say S T and it goes straight to it. Don't say Station or Banana or anything else!
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I thought technology was supposed to make life easier! :D

I did try saying Radio 2 DAB the other day and failed so used the display. In my niavity I did think it would use what I'd got in Favourites but obviously not. I'll see how it is listed and try that.

Why does it keep losing it after a couple of days?
Last edited by ChrisLF on Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

You can of course just use your digit to select your chosen media from a selection of colourful descriptive icons!
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, I have done but I'm trying to use the voice control more. In some ways, if it was possible, it would have been better to keep Sensus for many things and have Google maps for the sat nav.
Last edited by ChrisLF on Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Chris, have you tried doing what I suggest for Radio Station selection, if so, does it work for you?
Lincolnshire England.