Is This a Good Way to Buy a Volvo

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
gripross

Post by gripross »

Afternoon..
I'm sure a few of you know i've ordered an new XC40 back in August. Upon deciding to go for a new one at my dealers i was sat at a computer in the corner of the showroom and left to complete the order forms etc. Now as much as i don't consider myself old....lets say over 50 but not 60.....i was able to complete the order with a few prompts from the salesman. Since then i've had emails asking for this that and the other....but not altogether..i get one ..then another a week later etc etc....a few weeks ago i was phoned by the dealer and asked for milage and new registration as i've taken my plate off the car. I was told at this stage when they gey my details in their diary.. which is why they had contacted me that i'd have the car in 7 to 12 days. That was over 3 weeks ago. Last week i got several emails including the ones to sign for payment etc etc. I printed off the ones that need signing and took a photo and sent them back. Also payed a decent amount of money for the upfront cost. Today they sent an email asking for proof of settlement of finance....this was the last straw....i'm part exchanging my car and so the finance won't be payed off until i get my new car i presume and Volvo take my present car off me. So i've been onto dealer and expressed my annoyance at the lack of proffesionalism here. Surely volvo UK know i'm part exchanging car as it shows part ex allowance on paperwork i signed other day. Also dealer says i need to print out all 27 pages of paperwork and scan em back in and send back to Volvo uk...although he did say some customers can't do this and i could go to dealers and they will do it for me.
And just to add insult to injury....when i asked when can i pick car up now i've payed my several thousands of pounds upfront i'm told car is not in UK yet.
Dealer was lucky i was in a rush as i think i may have told him where to shove his car and ask for my money back....
Is this really a good way to buy a premium brand?
i will be ringing for an update in a few days....but if i don't get a satifactory answer i may well take my buisiness elsewhere. To say i'm not happy is a massive understatement..... and even if i do carry on with y order ...i doubt i'll go through this again knowing what i now know
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Blimey gripross you seem to have had a tortuous journey from start to (almost) finish!

I've had my moments due to the new regime but at least my dealer has been really good. What's this money upfront, I forget how you're financing? Only thing I paid was the £500 when I ordered. And none of that scanning malarkey, I dealt with/signed everything online from home.

My process was complicated by me cancelling twice, once because the Loyalty Bonus wasn't able to be included in the first online order and the second to get a much better deal. Apart from that the process was straightforward and I'd have no hesitation in doing it again.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gripross

Post by gripross »

I'm doing PCP.
So the decent chunk of equity that i have in my car was one of the reasons tempting me to upgrade added to that the £2000 loyalty as the car is only 2 years old.
i paid the £500 at sign up. But other day i paid the rest of the money i have agreed to put into the deal which shall we say starts with a 3 ?
so up to now they have had a fairly decent chunk of money which to be fair i was happy with as i presumed car was at the dealers especially as i was told over 3 weeks ago that they thought car was due for delivery any day...but to be told today car is not in UK has boiled my blood. I'm not worried about the money aspect... but i am pi**ed that they have got it even though thers no sign of my car...its a principal thing.
On the paperwork signing issue....i just printed the pages that needed signing and sent em back. Apparently Santander want all 23 pages printing and scanning back in and sending to Volvo.
The last 2 Volvos i have bought have involved a phone call to say car is here followed by sending funds an hour before pick up and signing documents at dealers which is far far simpler.
And my last gripe about this way of signing papers etc is that if you aren't sure about anything...yes you can call Volvo...but mat take an hour to get through.
If this is the new agency model ....then i don't think there will be a 4th XC40 on Gripross's drive in the future ..ha ha.
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's a right cheek asking for the money when the car isn't even in the country!

Wouldn't be so bad if it was at the dealer but even then with electronic transfer it shouldn't need to be paid until just before pickup.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

There is no way I would part with any money over and above the holding deposit until I had physically seen and inspected the car, for Volvo to expect you to do so is bang out of order. As Chris points out, you-can pay funds electronically which are processed instantaneously. Not great when getting a new car should be an enjoyable experience.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

As ChrisLF and other forum members experience shows, the new system does work. Unfortunately, every new system implementation will face some degree of resistance and those refusing to accept it will create snafus like the one described by the OP.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Whether the new system works on occasion or not, this way is not a good way to appreciate what should be a valued customer. A friend just brought the new Lexus LBX, they spent some time at a most friendly dealership who went through the process in fine detail, they felt special, valued and relaxed during the process - then paid a small deposit and left the dealership with a big smile confident they made the right choice and were in safe hands - feeling valued is important.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I was chatting to the dealer our daughter ordered her B3 from about the agency model. She said it had thrown up a lot of issues no one had really expected. Apparently Volvo initially thought five people would be enough to manage the whole of the UK! Gradually things are settling down but like all new systems it will take time. In her case the dealer messed up her order and it was delivered with the wrong interior. They have been very quick to order a replacement but hers was one of the last on the old system and the replacement will be an agency one. Be interesting to see how that works out in the next few weeks.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

BuzBox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:47 am feeling valued is important
Couldn’t agree more. That’s the problem with Volvo’s new sales system, it’s hard to feel valued as a first time customer when you have to do everything online by yourself. Volvo’s challenge is how to match its premium brand customer expectation with this new sales experience.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Maybe someone at Volvo once brought a 50p mug online and thought - if that was easy why not cars?