Alarm LED & Dark Mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

iPhone users can pick Day mode setting in any iPhone navigation app (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, TomTom, etc) and with Apple CarPlay should be able to project the map in Day mode on the centre display. Could an iPhone user with AAOS car confirm this?

percymon

Post by percymon »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:23 pm Seriously, is this level of complexity necessary in a Car?
Apparently yes; if you want simple then you have to pay £30k for a 1980s Fiesta, or £20k for a 1990s Nova. Did anyone see the Ford Sierra RS500 sell at auction for £530k - thats not a typo!

I never had an issue driving my parents 240 saloons and estates as an 18yr old; they were far easier to manouvre and park than my current C40 despite all its gizmos. Sorry, showing my age and apparent reluctance to change and innovation lol!

It makes me laugh that Volvo claim putting the window switches in he centre console, and the door mirror controls in the central display menus of the EX30 saves money and complexity of the doors and wiring. Given theres already wiring going to the window or the mirror motor why not have the switch 12" or less from the motor. Marketing mumbo jumbo.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Simplified controls yes, but only if you can set things as you want and ideally only once so that you don't have to keep changing things every time you start the car.

They have already simplified things to some extent by doing away with the driving modes, setting the steering weight and customisation of the driver display. They need to get the basics right though, which for me means being able to turn the automatic rear wipe and collision avoidance off. Don't hold out much hope for the latter but hopefully the former will be dealt with by a software update. Had the choice before so why not now?

No, this level of complexity isn't required but if they do insist on introducing it then at least you should have the choice of whether it is employed or not.

Tried the sat nav in the dark earlier and it did go into dark/night mode which is something. No mention of this in the manual though. I'd still prefer to be able to choose as in previous cars it would sometimes change too early for me and I'd put it back into day mode.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

You still have two options for steering weight.

I expect changes will bleed through in the months ahead. AAOS 3.0 is likely to be a significant release, whenever it comes.....

Regards turning off stuff we don't want, likely we'll get less and less control as a result of EU directives.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:00 pm Regards turning off stuff we don't want, likely we'll get less and less control as a result of EU directives.
Not necessarily. Watching EX30 drive tests with Swedish registration license plates I was surprised that EV warning sound from 0 to 12 mph can be turned off despite EU Regulation 540/2014.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I'm happy enough with the steering weight but didn't realise you could change it. Must have missed it when going through the menus.

I know one thing, if a manufacturer tries to force speed limiters linked to road sign recognition on me they will be off my list quicker than a quick thing!

Edit. After perusing the manual I see that firming the steering up can be done via Settings/Driving.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
James859812

Post by James859812 »

Going back to my original post, the car seems to have fixed itself, which is really odd. The alarm LED has stopped flashing when travelling or stationary and only comes on when I've locked the car, which is normal behaviour. The dark/light mode has returned on the centre console display.

I had also noticed a couple of other odd behaviours, the mood lighting stopped working and the indicators only flashed once, instead of the usual three times, even though the setting was to flash 3 times.

There is only one thing I can think of that happened, and this is going to sound strange, so bear with....
I had been transporting a nespreso machine in the rear foot well on the drivers side (I'd meant to take it out of the car for a while but hasn't). There is a number of connectors under the drivers seat, so the only thing I can think of is that the plug of the machine was touching the connections and causing a short or it was somehow interfering, I have now taken it out of the car and it's fixed.

Hopefully that was the issue, but thought I'd give you all an update, thanks for all the comments.

James

20231107_202128.jpg

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Glad it's fixed James but I can't help but think that was a coinincidence. I don't know what the connecters there do but would be surprised if they affected the alarm and Google maps particularly unless the sensor for day/night mode was affected?

Both the Android and Sensus systems suffer from glitches so I think that is more likely but I'm only guessing of course.

Anyway as said, glad it's back to normal and saves a trip to the dealer.

percymon

Post by percymon »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:37 pm
Tried the sat nav in the dark earlier and it did go into dark/night mode which is something. No mention of this in the manual though.
I imagine that is controlled by the ambient interior light sensor, as going in a tunnel or under a bridge enacts the darker screen in daytime.

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:22 pm I'm happy enough with the steering weight but didn't realise you could change it. Must have missed it when going through the menus.

I know one thing, if a manufacturer tries to force speed limiters linked to road sign recognition on me they will be off my list quicker than a quick thing!

Edit. After perusing the manual I see that firming the steering up can be done via Settings/Driving.
I have the steering on the firmer setting, personally i'd like a firmer setting again.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

When buying my first car I had a test drive in an Inscription and found the steering too light compared with my Yeti which felt just right. Tried a firmer setting but it was too heavy.

Once I'd bought the car I soon got used to it so didn't bother to alter the weight.

Just tried the firmer setting in the new car on a short run but then changed it back. Trouble is both settings are pretty lifeless. Need to try it on a good run.