Parking - harder than I thought

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
VloMo

Post by VloMo »

I’ve had many cars and for some reason I’m finding the xc40 hard to park. I’m not sure why. It’s tall but I’ve had range rovers and defenders that are taller. I think I find the mirrors small and I opted for the cameras thinking that would make it super easy but I find them no help gauging distance to the curb and almost a liability in making it seem like you have a view but it’s not able to pick up close distance. Way too far and way too close all kind of looks the same I’d happily give up the aerial view on the side just to look straight at the wheel and curb.

I think it’s mainly neither the cameras nor the mirrors do a good job picking up the wheels even with the mirrors dipped. Plus I guess it’s a new car so I’m being super careful also the sensors seem to pick up things only when quite close and it seems quite chill about the alert levels. Is dark orange stop now or is there a red after it ?

I’ll assume I’ll work it out but just surprised me normally I can jump in any car and do a reasonable park straight away.

Maybe it’s just going to take a while getting used to it.

Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Do you have the 360 cameras ? If so if you press the camera icon above the mirror on the centre's screen image you get just that camera,in mine you can see the wheel move out from under the wing,that's on my my21 Sensus,presume the new Google one is the same ??,I also don't tilt the mirrors preferring the larger view gives more awareness of your surroundings,I actually don't think there a problem to park but I am a HGV driver so size and visibility is relative I guess
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

You should get used to it. I came from years of big estate cars and could park those in tight spaces without a camera and in some cases parking sensors but initially found the XC40 a bit difficult. Especially when manoeuvring on a dealers forecourt surrounded by other cars!

It's a combination of things including poor rear visibility due to the large pillars, upward sweep on the rear doors and the rear headrests.

I had front and rear sensors and rear camera on my first car but only used those as a guide preferring to use the mirrors as I trust them more. I have them angled and use the auto dip for when parking against the kerb but override the dipping at other times to give a better view as Snow Man says.

I have the 360 deg camera now. It's really good but still only use it as a guide and still prefer the mirrors.

Yes, the warnings do go to red when you get really close.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I also found it tough at first. Never had problem in the past with a V70 or Mercedes E-class estate neither of which had any parking aids. For some reason that I dont quite understand the XC40 was harder to park accurately. Possibly it's the width compared to my previous cars or the very dark rear window tints. The 360 camera is very good but I still find myself further from the kerb than I would like. No wheel damage yet so thats a bonus. Our sons Ioiniq 5 with tech pack has a really clever feature whereby if moving slowly and indicating a clear picture of that side of the car and kerb appears on the screen. Great on tight junctions or parking.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
FrankwH

Post by FrankwH »

:oops: :oops: Its all very well having 360deg cameras and parking s1 but they are all low down and don't show up
anything that is higher, I stupidly managed to reverse into the Tail Lift of a 10 Tonne delivery Truck
on Saturday bloody idiot I am !!!..
I managed to damage the Tailgate and dust the rear windscreen

Image Image

The story gets interesting from there! but that's for another thread , :oops: :lol: :roll: :idea: :idea:
percymon

Post by percymon »

You guys want to try a C40, the rear window view isnt anything more than a letterbox, the XC40 view must be three times the size if not more
VloMo

Post by VloMo »

Ouch on that tailgate hit.

I think is why I don’t like the cameras for reversing. With the sensors I can still be looking back or in the mirrors and listen for proximity but camera screen takes your focus forward and the fake overhead view is nice although small but makes you think it can see everything but it can’t.

I reversed back to just a curb and what I thought was a bit more room was the wheels bumping up against the curb. The car next to me was also right back to the wheels but I was a bit shocked to be that far out with where I thought I was.

I’m quite likely to go find a carpark and practise on the lines for parallel parking as though they are curbs and maybe get some soft blocks to practise distance. Never thought I’d be considering that.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

I also found the XC40 a hard car to park. Its box shape, huge C pillars and high waist-band all contribute to poor visibility, found the standard rear camera to be poor too.
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

I'm on my 3rd Volvo (S80, S60 and XC40) backing up is not a problem but I can never ever get in square! Always come in at an angle 😜. All 3. I think it's the mirrors deceiving me!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Surprisingly I have more of a problem going forwards! I sometimes park and think I'm close to something and when I get out I'm miles away and have to move further forward.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.