Volvo Service Promise

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

So here is an interesting one

The Volvo Service Promise (https://www.volvocars.com/uk/l/service/ ... e-promise/) mentions 3 things that you get when you service your car at a main dealer.

1. Volvo assistance extended for 12 months
2. Free software update
3. Volvo Cars App

Now on the 3rd point, it reads
You’ll receive 12 months’ subscription to our mobile app, giving you handy remote access to your car – for control of temperature, security and much more, from wherever you are.
Now I was reading this as that if you had your car serviced at the main dealer, you would get the 12 month extension for free. However my dealer is telling me that whilst they would extend it, there would be a line item charge on my service bill for this (about £36)

Now having read this a few times, it doesn't say free but the general tone seems to imply it would be. In my view this is a bit like saying we'll give you free breakdown cover, free software updates and fit new tyres if needed without mentioning the tyres would be charged for.

Am I wrong here? Has anyone else got the subscription extended for free as part of their service (you may want to check your bill)?

The only reason I ask is I have to hang onto my company car for longer than the 3 year plan as the replacement is delayed and my fleet team say they won't pay for software subscriptions but as I use the app quite a bit (especially in the winter to warm the car up), I want to be double sure I am not going to be paying out £36 if I don't need to
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Do you have a Volvo Service Plan?

I would interpret Volvo's wording as all three being free, except the App subscription in the case of the service being carried out under the auspices of a Service Plan (which a 3rd service might be).
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

If you have a service plan the app subscription is not included (it’s in the super small print)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

If that was a contract it would be thrown out for ambiguity and misleading statements.

My first thought was if it isn't free why are they listing it as an advantage for having a main dealer service? As you say the other two items clearly state they are free but not the app renewal.

But the cruncher for me is that for the app it says that it doesn't apply to service plans which for me does imply that it is free if you pay for a service.

As I said, why list it if not free as anyone can pay for the subscription whether main dealer serviced or not?

That's very smoke and mirrors from Volvo and naughty.

Posts overlapped.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

To clarify, I don't have a service plan

But it seems I am not the only one who feels a little bit duped by this. I have also called Volvo UK on this one and they too state the renewed subscription isn't free either.

Hmmmm

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 09.18.09.png

XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

I just had a service and it was included "on call renewed - included in price of service".
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mark - it really does look from your extract, given that you're not on a service plan, that you should get it for free. Their statement is very misleading and as I said why list it if it's not free!

It's only small beer but it's the principle and no wonder manufacturers get a bad press sometimes. :(

I think they need help from the Plain English Campaign!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Android vehicles appear fairly straightforward. Everything, including Data, free for 4 years. Then no one knows!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I am curious as to what happens with the BEVs once they get past 4 years old. The service schedule is every two years. Will we only get one year of on call? Guess none have reached that stage yet. i realise that I will have to pay for the app subscription.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:13 am Android vehicles appear fairly straightforward. Everything, including Data, free for 4 years. Then no one knows!
Then you sell It! :D