BEV Insurance, tyre wear, charging costs etc

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

There has been a lot of negative press in the anti EV lobby recently regarding the high cost of running BEVs, extortionate insurance and high tyre wear etc. So after 20 months and 13,000 miles with our twin motor pro here is what I have found.
1. All four tyres still have 7mm of tread left. The Volvo maintenance includes tyre replacement for 3 years. Dont think I will get any new ones under this scheme!
2. Home charging costs approximately 3 pence per mile. Over the summer I have mostly charged it from excess solar so overall its probably slightly less than that.
3. Public fast charging is around 20 pence per mile. If you rely on public charging then it doesn't make sense to run a BEV on economic grounds. We have done a few long trips and have never had any issues with public charging. No queues. No faulty chargers but they are expensive to use. I do always have a plan B just in case but any range anxiety I may have had has long since gone and plan B has so far not been needed. The range/state of charge at destination is very accurate. Hotels often have EV charging usually at a reasonable rate (for public charging) and some are even free.
4. Insurance. We are on Volvo's three year insurance included with the car. In view of all the bad publicity I ran a few quotes just out of interest. LV £608. Saga, who cover my other car, £420. The real surprise was Volvo insurance at £36 per month. Not too bad for a 400hp EV.
So there we have it. just thought it might be a good idea to counter some of the dubious stories in the mail/Sun etc. And no it hasn't caught fire yet!
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I think you summed it up in the last line. The Daily Fail and The Sun
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
VloMo

Post by VloMo »

Thanks for the data. :-)