Door Pockets

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

One of my pet peeves with the XC40 is that Volvo decided not to carpet the inside of the door pockets. Sure, the door card is carpeted, but the inside of the pocket itself isn’t, which is a point of extreme cheapness by Volvo imo. I tend to chuck my keys in there and it results in rattling keys unless I wedge them in to my windscreen cloth. So, being a resourceful sort, and having time on my hands since early retirement, I’ve decided to do something about it. I’ve come up with an insert, made of a very similar carpet to OEM Volvo, backed with 2mm EVA foam. They slip inside the pocket and fit snugly against the inner surface. They're an 'interference fit' and don't need any mechanical fixing (although a few spots of double sided tape would fix them permanently) so they're easy to remove for vacuuming or swapping in to a new car. The benefits are four fold. A much nicer feel, no rattling keys, umbrella, water bottle etc, they make the pockets sound a little less 'tappy', and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you've done something Volvo should have done to start with.

If anyone would like a set, I'm more than happy to do a limited production run, which is a bit of a pretentious way of saying I'll sit in the garage a cut a few out, however, you fit them at your own risk. I'm happy to offer an exchange warranty if they arrive defective, but the more you remove them and replace them the more likely they are to wear or deform. That said, in the process of developing them I've had the prototypes in and out of my car more times than I can count and you can see what the look like now in the photos. I cut them out by hand, with a scalpel, from a hardboard template that I've made (about twenty times) so don't expect die-cut perfection, but once they're fitted they're invisible anyway!

I'm not out to or interested in getting rich off these, so how about a measly £20 including shipping, signed for and insured with Evri (yeah I know but they're cheap!). Highlands and Islands might be a bit more for shipping.

Pics attached. PM me if interested.

20231021_145831768_iOS.jpg

20231021_145826093_iOS.jpg

20231021_145651026_iOS.jpg

T3 R-Design, Fusion Red, Early 21 (hers). Fully loaded.
B4 Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Late 23 (mine).

Stuber

Post by Stuber »

Hi. I'll have a set if you still have them
Cheers
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

PM sent. Cant believe I missed this when you posted it originally
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
clockworks

Post by clockworks »

PM sent
2021 T5 Inscription plug-in hybrid
Stuber

Post by Stuber »

Sorry can't pm you as just joined, not allowes
clockworks

Post by clockworks »

Received mine yesterday, fitted them today. Perfect fit, will stop stuff rattling around in the pockets.
2021 T5 Inscription plug-in hybrid
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

Thanks clockworks... appreciate the feedback. :)
clockworks wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:54 pm Received mine yesterday, fitted them today. Perfect fit, will stop stuff rattling around in the pockets.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Just driven back from Italy to find mine waiting on the doorstep. The material is indistinguishable from the door card and they fit perfectly. Thank you. Now we just need Volvo to build our daughter's car with the correct interior and I can fit her set.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

Cevoli21 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:53 pm Just driven back from Italy to find mine waiting on the doorstep. The material is indistinguishable from the door card and they fit perfectly. Thank you. Now we just need Volvo to build our daughter's car with the correct interior and I can fit her set.
Blimey that was quick delivery by Evri - they've clearly scaled up for Xmas! Thanks for the feedback Cevoli21 - really appreciated.
Stuber

Post by Stuber »

Met Bradders today and he fitted them in two mins and also helped me with what to do with the sim card in the boot. £20 all in, a bargain, helpful guy. Thank you.