Planning to buy an XC40

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
jkcool

Post by jkcool »

Stovo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:08 pm If struggling to get 50% deposit, it might be worth investigating a personal loan for any shortfall, and then the rest on Volvo’s 0%. That way if you amortise the two, you will still be paying a lot less than the average APR on personal loans. Just a suggestion, but utmost importance, is you are happy with the finances.
With trade- in and some cash, am seriously contemplating going ahead and taking advantage of 0% plus service package offer, even though was planning on waiting 6 months before change. Good luck with whatever you decide.
For the 0% loan, since there is no optional final payment, the total monthly payment is very high. Combined it with repayment on personal loan, it was pushing above £520. This is the only way to avoid huge interest payments. So I was planning to get a used one using cash + personal loan for now and possible get a new one in 2-3 years time. Possibly the APR will be low and some more loyalty offers. I know the car prices will also be higher then.

If I find a suitable one, I will have to decide whether buying a used one with Cash + personal loan + paid Service plan is better than the lowest finance on PCP + free 2 years service offer. All depends on what the dealer quotes for the service plan.
Volvo Selekt - MY21 R-Design B4 - Thunder grey with Winter pack. (Nov 23)

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I wonder if the XC40 will be available new in 3 years time?

The design is 5 years old now and fortunately has undergone few major changes apart from the motive force. This is good as even the early ones haven't been outdated and overall it still looks good and can still hold it's own. This is one reason why residuals are still strong.

I can't see the XC40 going through a redesign, it will just be replaced by another model.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:18 pm I can't see the XC40 going through a redesign, it will just be replaced by another model.
I agree. I also believe EX30 will replace the pure electric XC40 and C40. For cost cutting Volvo might shut down the entire XC40 production line in Ghent.
jkcool

Post by jkcool »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:24 pm
ChrisLF wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:18 pm I can't see the XC40 going through a redesign, it will just be replaced by another model.
I agree. I also believe EX30 will replace the pure electric XC40 and C40. For cost cutting Volvo might shut down the entire XC40 production line in Ghent.
Oh dear. So is it now or never for XC40 ?

I could clearly see that it is holding the value. For a used one from the dealer. 3 year old XC40 automatic transmission with 40K miles still goes for £27K and a new one costs only £34K
Volvo Selekt - MY21 R-Design B4 - Thunder grey with Winter pack. (Nov 23)
goi

Post by goi »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:24 pm
I don‘t think so - I had a XC40 Recharge T5 before and I have now a XC40 PE Twin Ultimate. I‘ve seen the EX30 as well but it has less space inside (especially on the rear seats) and is lacking some features which i would miss.
Additionally the gap between the SEA-E and the SPA platform is to large. My expectation is, Geely will stay some while on the CMA platform with their brands Volvo XC40, Polestar 2, Lynk & Co etcetera.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
Cro

Post by Cro »

ChrisLF wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:18 pm I wonder if the XC40 will be available new in 3 years time?

The design is 5 years old now and fortunately has undergone few major changes apart from the motive force. This is good as even the early ones haven't been outdated and overall it still looks good and can still hold it's own. This is one reason why residuals are still strong.

I can't see the XC40 going through a redesign, it will just be replaced by another model.
I believe it'll be available until 2030, maybe even beyond depending on the sales.

As for the design being old, Volvo is known for maxing out the production lifespan of its vehicles (for example, the original XC90 was in production for 12 years. The second generation XC90 is still in production with 8 years under its belt).

I also think that the XC40 will receive another facelift in a couple of years given the fact that Volvo promised to facelift the current generation XC90 for a second time.

Furthermore, Volvo envisioned the XC40 above the EX30 so it doesn't make sense to shelve it.
Late MY23 XC40 B4P AWD Ultimate Bright Dusk /w Pixel lights.
Ordered 25th August 2022, delivered 11th January 2023
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the move to all EV. Any design that has to accommodate ICE and/or EV is compromised as far as pure EV is concerned and I can't see Volvo wanting to spend the money required to update the design much.

With the introduction of the EX30 I don't think it will be too long before the bigger offerings come along. EX50?

All guesswork of course, which is one reason for me getting another ICE to take me three or four years further on to see how things pan out.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

No way will Volvo scrap the XC40 in the foreseeable future. Mid size SUV is such an important sector for all manufacturers, and with BMW recently launching new X1, new Tiguan and Q3 on the horizon, this illustrates said importance, which Volvo will want to be part of, albeit eventually in EV format only.
On a positive note, once they stop producing ICE formats, residuals should hopefully be strong for those of us who own one.
Macjiminy

Post by Macjiminy »

We decided to buy a new XC40 to replace our 8 year old V40.
Have ordered B3 dark and told it will be 3 months. Long wait 🙄but hopefully worth it.
We got the loyalty deal £2000 off and 4% apr and so the PCP option was too attractive. Was going to get a 2020 T5 but this seemed a better deal.
Awaiting new Volvo XC40 B 3 Plus dark in vapour grey. Ordered Riverside Hull 14th August hoping for delivery before mid November. This to replace my 8 year old V40.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:24 pm I also believe EX30 will replace the pure electric XC40 and C40. For cost cutting Volvo might shut down the entire XC40 production line in Ghent.
Interesting development, Ghent will start producing EX30 in 2025 https://electrek.co/2023/10/26/volvo-ex ... gh-demand/