Planning to buy an XC40

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
jkcool

Post by jkcool »

Hello everyone,
I am planning to buy a Volvo XC40. Thought it is nice to join XC40 forums to understand more about the car.

I have been to a dealer and have seen the new Volvo XC40. Absolutely loved it. But the APR has gone up with significantly between August and September. Even with September savings, it is more expensive now.

Not decided if I want to buy a new one or a used one and change in 2 years time.
Volvo Selekt - MY21 R-Design B4 - Thunder grey with Winter pack. (Nov 23)

Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Have you looked at Sept offers, including 0% finance on loans.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

The service pack is really a must - either get it on offer or as part of a deal, otherwise service costs are eye watering expensive….
jkcool

Post by jkcool »

Stovo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:32 pm Have you looked at Sept offers, including 0% finance on loans.
I did. 50% deposit required for 0% loan., around £17k. Has it been always like this ?
jkcool

Post by jkcool »

Andy40 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:59 pm The service pack is really a must - either get it on offer or as part of a deal, otherwise service costs are eye watering expensive….
On a used car PCP, they are doing 2 years service and warranty. How much is it worth ?
If I take PCP for 2 years, I will be paying £4000 in interest for 2 years with the current APR of 11.9%
How much does usual service plan for year 4 and 5 ?

Apologies for asking too many questions. Thank you.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

jkcool wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:14 am
Andy40 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:59 pm The service pack is really a must - either get it on offer or as part of a deal, otherwise service costs are eye watering expensive….
On a used car PCP, they are doing 2 years service and warranty. How much is it worth ?
If I take PCP for 2 years, I will be paying £4000 in interest for 2 years with the current APR of 11.9%
How much does usual service plan for year 4 and 5 ?

Apologies for asking too many questions. Thank you.
Ask service and they’ll be able to give you a break down of costs specifically for the car your looking at, I had the service pack on mine and I checked what the cost of the 2nd service was, when it was in for its service and was nearly £500.

Servicing tends to be minor / major / minor / major and the 4th or 5th can be a significant one if it needs other stuff doing…

Like I said, phone service dept and ask for exact costs
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I looked at PCP for a used car, and the rates are horrendous. New car was way cheaper... (in this case not an XC40 but it's replacement).

My XC40 had a very good PCP rate, and there was a 3 year service plan available for £99... In fact the XC40 was cheaper than the other car I was looking at (Ford Kuga) mainly due to the residual value - the Volvo was a sniff under £20k, the Kuga £9k!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

At least the service plan offer is to the end of September now. If I remember it was only to the middle of the month before.

As regards the 0% I don't ever remember this being available apart from it being so in the period before the switch to agency.

Was lucky enough to take advantage of it this time which is what swung it for me, along with the strong residual on my existing car. Looked at how much they wanted for other cars with interest and it was an instant no way!

I see they are doing 0% on the Tuscon with min 30% deposit.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
VloMo

Post by VloMo »

Could look at personal loan or other finance options. Dealer options other than 0% looked v expensive to me servicing or not.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

jkcool wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:00 am
Stovo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:32 pm Have you looked at Sept offers, including 0% finance on loans.
I did. 50% deposit required for 0% loan., around £17k. Has it been always like this ?
If struggling to get 50% deposit, it might be worth investigating a personal loan for any shortfall, and then the rest on Volvo’s 0%. That way if you amortise the two, you will still be paying a lot less than the average APR on personal loans. Just a suggestion, but utmost importance, is you are happy with the finances.
With trade- in and some cash, am seriously contemplating going ahead and taking advantage of 0% plus service package offer, even though was planning on waiting 6 months before change. Good luck with whatever you decide.