XC40 recharge Plug in not available

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
window

Post by window »

Does anybody know why they have stopped offering the plug in version?

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Probably part of the rationalisation to make only fully electric cars by 2025 , also could be falling sales , the electric only range is not up there compared to the competition.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
dapaca

Post by dapaca »

I was told yesterday by a service advisor in Rybrook Chester that the plug in hybrids were no longer available, in anticipation of the EX90 and EX30.
MY23 B4 Ultimate Dark in Thunder Grey.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

XC40 plug-in is no longer produced by Volvo. As mentioned above, EX30 is expected to replace it and then most probably XC40 mild-hybrid drivetrain will also be retired. Except for XC40, plug-in hybrids continue to be available for all other Volvo models. MY23 plug-in received a bigger battery allowing for 56 miles of pure electric range. This plug-in drivetrain is eAWD, having the 2.0 l petrol engine in the front with TC8 Aisin gearbox and electric motor in the back.
gedger

Post by gedger »

The engine setup in the hybrid XC60 was exactly what I wanted in the XC40, gave effective AWD, with a usable 50 mile electric range. No one at the dealership could explain why Volvo had discontinued but did say they could have sold loads!
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gedger wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:39 am The engine setup in the hybrid XC60 was exactly what I wanted in the XC40, gave effective AWD, with a usable 50 mile electric range.
XC40 platform is too small to accommodate the eAWD drivetrain. There’s simply not enough room for engine and gearbox in the front, electric motor in the back and 50 miles range battery somewhere in between.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

The XC40 PHEV was a huge hit with the company car fleets in T4 and T5 format due to the tax savings however most fleets (I'm going through this myself right now) are pushing hard on all electric so there is now massive demand on the all electric XC40 and C40 variants and fleet sales of plug in hybrids is falling fast. It's the same for other manufacturers too and as fleet sales are their biggest single market, it's fleet demands that will drive product strategy for man stream brands.

In other words, they are simply following the money and you as a private buyer of a single car aren't important enough to influence that
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I thought it was the 1500 engine coming out of production... Unfortuntately, they've lost me as a customer because I tow a caravan... The T5 would have been perfect. Well don VOlvo
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I understand your thinking, Volvo have lost me as a customer too and I've had a few over the years. I guess that being a retired old codger who buys his own cars I no longer fit their target demographic. They seem to be going after younger company car drivers nowadays. I'm not even so sure that they see the UK as such an important market given that they are now launching models such as the EM90 for the Chinese market only.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18