New AAOS Version Released

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
gedger

Post by gedger »

Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the genuine Volvo leather knob is still the best.....
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I believe the Orrefors Crystal Gear knob is the only part actually made in Sweden....
Last edited by JFDIT on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

JFDIT wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:48 am Bradders, what does your app say about Car Software version?
Well it was saying no updates available, but this evening it made a liar of me and informed me of 2.11. I will check for new wizardry in the morning!
T3 R-Design, Fusion Red, Early 21 (hers). Fully loaded.
B4 Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Late 23 (mine).
Newswitcher

Post by Newswitcher »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:24 am I get the cars Location and Outside Temperature underneath the Reg No on the Apps Home Page.

I also have my phone's Google Assistant linked to the Volvo Account. That lets me ask questions such as "How Much Fuel is in My Car" and "Is My Car Locked".
But the rest isn't there Yet.
That’s interesting - I don’t get the outside temp or reg no on the app. That’s on an iPhone, are you using android?
How did you get your phone assistant to link to the Volvo account? I used the same Google account to log in on my phone and the car but it doesn’t seem to have connected in that way.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Blond Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I'm on Pixel Android, so maybe a platform difference.

You need to add the Car as a Device in Google Assistant. This is done by accessing the Assistant Settings on your Phone. But being Apple you are probably not using Google Assistant!
Lincolnshire England.
Newswitcher

Post by Newswitcher »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:28 am I'm on Pixel Android, so maybe a platform difference.

You need to add the Car as a Device in Google Assistant. This is done by accessing the Assistant Settings on your Phone. But being Apple you are probably not using Google Assistant!
Thanks. Did some research after I’d dropped message in - it’s an iOS difference. Option to link a car isn’t there. Having just moved from an incredibly slick BMW system, these are annoying shortfalls. 🤬
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Blond Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
gedger

Post by gedger »

Newswitcher wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:34 am Thanks. Did some research after I’d dropped message in - it’s an iOS difference. Option to link a car isn’t there. Having just moved from an incredibly slick BMW system, these are annoying shortfalls. 🤬
It will probably always be the case, Android will be better supported, welcome to the world of Google. I wonder how long it will be before Carplay support is updated to support all the features available from Sept 22?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Why do you want Apple Carplay rather than using the Native Google Operating System?

I didn't like Sensus on my last XC40 but really couldn't be bothered to faff around using Android Auto.
Lincolnshire England.
gedger

Post by gedger »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:05 pm Why do you want Apple Carplay rather than using the Native Google Operating System?
Because I have everything on my phone that I want. If I'm listening to a book/podcast then I can carry on in the car, my music is on the phone too. I generally plan routes using TomTom on my phone in the comfort of my house and know the route is good, I've found no way to do that on Google maps. On a recent two week holiday I compared Google Maps to TomTom as you can run them at the same time. My experience shows TomTom is superior, it plans better routes and the route time is more accurate. I find the voice guidance clearer and it uses yards and not feet, who uses feet for large distances! I find the google map in the drivers display a real disappointment, whoever decided on grey roads on a black background with only the width to indicate the difference between an A-Road and a B-Road should be fired. The active route in blue is also not great. Junctions, especially motorway, are significantly clearer on TomTom with clear guidance on the lane you should be in. Asking google to navigate to the nearest petrol station took me to the wrong location on 2 occasions. The traffic / congestion updates are also significantly more accurate on TomTom and much more timely. On several occasions Google showed the route clear when it wasn't but TomTom was correct. So for me I can't see any reason to use the inbuilt AAOS except to launch CarPlay....The feature I want most from the latest CarPlay is the ability to display in the drivers display, so I could then get a decent map displayed....

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a rant, in general AAOS is the best in car system I've had but in my view CarPlay is superior, perhaps if I used an Android phone I would have a different view?

Edit: forgot to say I was asked to slide right using Google Maps, I think it meant bear right, several other Americanisms too...
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gedger wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:43 pm The feature I want most from the latest CarPlay is the ability to display in the drivers display, so I could then get a decent map displayed....
Apple CarPlay now shows Apple Maps in the driver display, but you could find this useful only if Apple Maps in your region can be considered decent.