Phone app

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Paul F wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 am Now some of you have mentioned the sim in the boot, just how useful is it please?
The sim in the boot, PSIM, allows direct internet connection in the car for music streaming, app updates and OTA (over the air) map updates. It also allows to transform the PSIM into a Wi-Fi hotspot, giving internet access to other devices in the car, your phone or other passenger’s phone, tablet or laptop. Think of it as your home wireless internet modem.

The PSIM usefulness depends on your needs, such as streaming music with Spotify or TuneIn Radio app installed in the Sensus entertainment system instead of streaming music directly from your phone, as well as others traveling in the car wanting a Wi-Fi connection.

Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Thanks gripross, I haven’t set the profiles up yet for things to adjust to my liking. Must do it though particularly before winter, mine has the heated steering wheel and I’m looking forward to using that. One step at a time for me. The Google integration looks fantastic but alas my 2020 doesn’t have it, it’s about the only thing I wish it had, so handy.
2020 B5 Inscription Pro. AWD. Auto. Denim Blue. Amber interior. Intellisafe Surround. Winter Plus.
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Thank you for the information eugen61. It sounds like a useful aid. I will look at the cost and the coverage by the different providers now I know what it does.
2020 B5 Inscription Pro. AWD. Auto. Denim Blue. Amber interior. Intellisafe Surround. Winter Plus.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

There are deals for data only SIM cards mentioned on the forum, search for PSIM topic. Here’s one example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile- ... 115&sr=8-3
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Thank you for the link. Not as expensive as I expected.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:33 am You need a Volvo Cars active subscription. On your phone open Volvo Cars app, go to your profile, subscriptions and see if you have connected services. If you are subscribed to the service you don’t need a PSIM (personal sim) in the boot, connection will be made with the factory embedded sim. PSIM is required only if you want music streaming and maps download directly through Sensus entertainment system.

Yesterday I was unable to open my car using the app, there was a system wide problem. Perhaps you’ve encountered the same issue. This morning it worked fine, everything was back to normal.
Now I understand. Daughter uses music apps etc so thats probably why needs the sim in the boot
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

And as eugen says is convenient for map updates so worth having. Also live traffic information and stationary traffic shown on the map if selected if I remember correctly?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:09 pm Also live traffic information and stationary traffic shown on the map if selected if I remember correctly?
Yes, that’s correct. Useful for those using Sensus navigation or having the map shown in the driver display.