B4 mild hybrid noise

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bekster

Post by Bekster »

3 weeks ago I exchanged my trusted XC40 T4 FWD ultimate for a new B4 mild hybrid ultimate XC40. Very pleased with the new one, shame it was not available as a AWD. The mild hybrid system can be noisy while braking, a semi high pitch tone (Not sure this describes it properly). It is louder than a consersation one has in the car, Is this normal? I was told it would reduce over time. Very sceptical about that statement. Anyone else have a similar experience?

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Something similar was discussed on this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3580
Cro

Post by Cro »

Bekster wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:04 am 3 weeks ago I exchanged my trusted XC40 T4 FWD ultimate for a new B4 mild hybrid ultimate XC40. Very pleased with the new one, shame it was not available as a AWD. The mild hybrid system can be noisy while braking, a semi high pitch tone (Not sure this describes it properly). It is louder than a consersation one has in the car, Is this normal? I was told it would reduce over time. Very sceptical about that statement. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Not at all. We have a MY23 B4 AWD Ultimate and we can only hear the electric generator when no one is talking in the car. If we roll down the windows the noise is a bit more noticeable but nowhere near the sound level of a conversation.
Late MY23 XC40 B4P AWD Ultimate Bright Dusk /w Pixel lights.
Ordered 25th August 2022, delivered 11th January 2023
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

My new 24MY B4 does make an occasional Whoop noise when first braking. Bit like going over a rumble strip without the vibration.
Having said that at 2k miles it's less frequent than it was.
The mild hybrid bit of the new B4 is definitely different to my 22MY B4. In my view it's providing more assistance at low revs, much more whisper quiet Whooshing sounds than before.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I tend to just waft around most of the time nowadays (no commute grand-prix now) but it will be interesting to see how the new car performs and compares as I'm currently driving a FWD. Didn't bother with a test drive. Sounds as though it will pull away more smartly and of course the DSG will change quicker. And I won't have to turn off the stop/start as part of my starting regime!

So I take it if you are waiting at an island or junction you just put your foot down and it goes instantly without the delay experienced with the engine restarting with the old system?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

It starts pulling whilst starting the engine. Clearly the electric motor is doing both at the same time. Quite impressive.
But impressive aside, I'd rather have a big engine that just kept running! Sadly those days are gone with new cars.

When is your projected delivery date?
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's much better being as you can't turn it off. On busy roads the old system could be a liability.

With regards to big engines it's interesting how many EVs have so much power. Even some, what would be considered small runabouts and would have less than 100bhp have 200bhp plus! Why? The sports/GT versions I can understand as is the case with ICE.

Downside to this, and particularly with big SUVs and their weight, is that the tyres wear out faster and release more particles into the atmosphere which isn't exactly environmental friendly is it. Never mind the more frequent cost of replacement. Rather negates some of the arguments for EV.

It says 2 to 3 months when ordering through the web-site which isn't bad. My order hasn't progressed enough for me to be notified of a build date yet.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Mine only took 7.5 months!
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Times are much better now aren't they. They even have a few cars in stock/quicker build times. Yours could have ended up as one of those! :D

The2wardz

Post by The2wardz »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:21 am My new 24MY B4 does make an occasional Whoop noise when first braking. Bit like going over a rumble strip without the vibration.
Having said that at 2k miles it's less frequent than it was.
The mild hybrid bit of the new B4 is definitely different to my 22MY B4. In my view it's providing more assistance at low revs, much more whisper quiet Whooshing sounds than before.
My 24MY B4 does something similar. Always seems to be when the engine is coasting and I then brake. Mine has only done about 1300 miles, so I will see if it seems to decrease in frequency as I do more miles.
Volvo XC40 MY24 B4P Ultimate Dark in Fjord Blue
Ordered: 19th Jan 2023, Delivered 21st June 2023