T5 MPG

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JamieRob93

Post by JamieRob93 »

Obviously never bought a T5 P* Op for the fuel efficiency but I’m genuinely proud of this motorway run. 285 miles covered with a mpg return of 40.3!

It’s the little things in life…

IMG_1128.jpeg

XC40 T5 R-Design AWD Polestar

AndyN

Post by AndyN »

From other posts I have seen on the Internet that seem pretty amazing for a T5, you certainly can't complain at that.

Did you try to drive in the most economical way like 60mph on the motorway etc or just with the traffic at 70 ish.

No one buys an XC40 for the fuel economy, but it's always nice to have a good run like that. Mine is the PHEV so it can register crazy mpg but then it's not taking into account the full battery it started with.
On a long run with the battery depleted I only just get more than that at about 43mpg.

I'm getting the Polestar installed early next month so will see if the economy changes at all.

Seems in the UK the T5 now B5 is no more you can only get the 3 or 4.
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.
JamieRob93

Post by JamieRob93 »

I was really surprised to see it break 40! My commute consists of mainly B roads and I’m used to a return of around 27/28 mpg.

Like you mentioned, no one buys one for the fuel efficiency so I’m not overly bothered.

On this run I just chucked on the adaptive cruise and stuck it at 70. Smooth going apart from the occasional 40mpg average speed camera section.

That’s a shame, at least it could mean better value retention!
XC40 T5 R-Design AWD Polestar
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Hi there,
That’s great mpg, has your car always had p* since you’ve had it and if not have you comparison before figures please. What was the temperature on the day and was the car fully loaded.
I’ve had mine since the new and managed 36 mpg average(non p*) tour of Scotland . I also use super unleaded,what do you use?.
Thanks
Dave
T5 FE, osmium grey
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

36 is still pretty dam good for a T5, most of the posts I see on various forums complain about mid 20s to low 30s.

My previous T3 only got about 40 on a run.
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Blimey, my T4 FWD easily gets into the 40s on a run and recently averaged 47. As said, didnt buy the car for mpg but am impressed when I get such good figures.

I can't see my new B4 being much better, if at all.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:02 pm my T4 FWD easily gets into the 40s on a run and recently averaged 47. I can't see my new B4 being much better, if at all.
B4 has a significantly improved start-stop system and the DC7 gearbox appears to be more efficient than the TC8 found on your T4. See the comparative WLTP figures for low (up to 35mph), medium (up to 47mph), high (up to 60mph), extra-high (up to 81mph) and combined values. For my T4 FWD these WLTP figures prove to be surprisingly accurate. The best T4 WLTP figure is 44mpg for up to 60mph, pretty much inline with your own T4 driving experience. After clocking the first 5k miles on the odometer, in the same driving conditions B4 mpg should get into the low 50s.

IMG_1018.jpg

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

As a Very rough guide my 22MY B4 MHEV AWD was typically averaging around 33-35mpg over 16,000miles.
My new 24MY B4 MHEV FWD is averaging 39-43 over 2,000miles.
The only negative is I'm missing the AWD. The new one is considerably quicker and more responsive (improved in every other way) but can't put the power down well through the front wheels. It's prone to scrabbling and torque steer under fast acceleration. Still, makes the drive more "engaging" I guess!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks for the info. I'm usually in Comfort mode apart from the occasions when I use Manual and drive "normally" but with the power of the T4, FWD only and such high gearing it's easy to get into the 40s which is why I've been impressed with the mpg. Sounds as though I should get even more with the B4 then, which will be a bonus.

I think the T4 and B4 must be the sweet spot for mpg (don't know about the 4 pot B3) and why the T5 and T3 disappeared. I always wondered why the T3 was introduced as small engines working harder, especially in a big heavy car, rarely provide more economy in real world use.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Given that you can't check the option now for automatically applying the Parking brake when turning the engine off with the Android system what's the process?

I assume it still goes into Park automatically and you apply the Parking brake?