google assistant doesn't find radio stations

The place to discuss everything else..
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

When using Google assistant to find a radio station it says OK finding .......... and then I hear nothing but static or a random station badly out of tune.
This only started happening after the 2.9 upgrade but I'm sure it's only coincidence.
Any help please!

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've got the 2.10 software now and it works 100% flipping between DAB and FM Radio Stations (provided you use the names as shown in the Radio App). Also flips happily between TuneIn Internet Radio Stations and Amazon Music. Couldn't catch it out once during a 10min test I've just done. Having said that do recall previously Voice Command for Radio Station did give me static. And the "Manual" Says you have to use the frequency rather than Radio name for FM. Which I've just demonstrated is no longer true. Maybe an update in 2.10?
I wouldn't have really noticed before as I mostly listen to my Amazon playlists or TuneIn Internet Radio Stations.

Let me know how you get on.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

It keeps mentioning Tunein.
Absolutely no idea what that is or how I can access it.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

TuneIn App is a radio app found on the centre display. It brings you all sort of radio stations, local and international, via internet connection. Radio App brings you DAB and FM local stations via radio frequencies.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

You have to download it from the Google Play Store now. However, my voice commands find DAB and FM channels by name so TuneIn not required for those.
Lincolnshire England.
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

Thank you gentlemen.
The reboot I had to do yesterday has sorted out many of the glitches I had encountered - except the voice assistant still returns static.
I'm intrigued by "Tunein".
Do I simply load the app from google play (now working) and the voice assistant will recognise it and thus solve my static problem?
I'm a septuagenarian , technological (almost) incompetent.
Help greatly appreciated.
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

"Radio App brings you DAB and FM local stations via radio frequencies."

Installed TuneIn.
Assistant seems selective about which stations will be obtained from TuneIn and which from the Car Radio.
For example. If I search for TIMES RADIO it will successfully stream the station.
However, if I ask for any BBC station it returns with "OK. BBC* from your car radio" and then returns with static - even though BBC* is available from TuneIn.

HISTORY: This is a recent development. Previously the assistant returned all stations from the car radio perfectly. From memory the problem started happening around the time of update 2.09. But this may just be coincidental.

INTERESTINGLY: GOOGLE ASSISTANT appears twice in my Apps screen.

Very frustrating!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I suspect it's more to do with the install and slightly flakey software. I expect it will resolve itself. Did you get your profile back? Have you got v2.10?
Lincolnshire England.
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

Yes thanks - the re-boot returned everything (thank goodness)
However, this radio nonsense in driving me nuts.
If something should work then it should work especially for a car of this standard.
My guess is that the Assistant may have to be uninstalled and then re-installed - something I will most certainly leave to my dealer.
BTW - the VOLVO chat (using WhatsApp) was no good whatsoever.
Standard reply - "I'm sorry to hear that. Contact your dealer to see if they can look in to this further"
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Whilst no consolation mine is working perfectly.
Have you tried clearing the Cache for Google Assistant and are any permissions blocked? Check under Settings>Privacy> Application>Show All Apps>appname
Lincolnshire England.