Buying a Xc40 2020

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Yunxc40

Post by Yunxc40 »

Hi, first time of buying a volvo, I have been doing some research about common faults and I've read the following common faults on the 2020 - 21 models. I'm finding it difficult to comprehend that some of these faults are common with the car being 3 years old

Electric issues, - entertainment system freezes
Transmission - car jerks and acceleration is slow after shifting gears
Brakes - Brakes has a spongy feeling and sometimes the brake booster needs replacing which is a very expensive part

Car shuts off- car will lose power and shut off, this could be a problem with fuel pump.

Are these issues for real?

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
I am on my third XC40, T3 manual, B4 auto and currently a T4 phev and have not experienced any of the problems that you write about. The only issue I have come across with the brakes is the slight groans that I hear when the parking brake’s lock on when there is a slight incline. Have now experienced both auto gearboxes the 8 speed tc box and the 7 speed dsg type, nothing between them really both function really well.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Our daughter has had a 2020 B4 for three years. She has had absolutely zero problems with it. In fact she recently ordered a 2024 B3 Ultimate to replace it - just before Volvo brought in the agency model of doing business.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'm also driving a 21 XC40 with none of these faults. The trouble with searching for faults is yes, you'll find them, but only those that have them post, so they're actually not common, just the only posts out there. If everyone fault free posted they'd massively outweigh the fault posts.

Test drive it and decide for yourself.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I had a 2021 MY22 XC40 B4 AWD Inscription Pro for 18months and it was faultless.
Now have the below, yes some software issues with the new android AAOS but that's to be expected. Early days for the software. So far 1500 miles and she's going well.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Driver's door mirror failed to dip on reversing after 6 months and was replaced under warranty at the first service. Coming up to it's second service and the only thing I need to report is a slight zizz noise from the console vibrating on occasion. Otherwise all good. Volvo are frequently tweaking the drivetrain software which is updated every service, so any transmission issues on early cars should have been fixed long since.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Moss

Post by Moss »

My wife, used to Audi, wanted something different in 2019, so she got a 2020 Volvo XC40 8-speed automatic (long story short : she actually wanted an Alfa Romeo Stelvio, but Alfa couldn’t grant the conditions our company always has, while Volvo did, so …).

Anyway, as it turned out, she didn’t like the car and went back to an Audi Q5 one year later, but the XC40 is still there, used by people from the company, and now and again by me.

We have so far not experienced any of the problems you mention.

In my humble opinion, the Volvo XC40 is a decent little car, maybe a bit expensive compared to some other car models from Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, etc., but – for what it’s worth - I can tell you that the maintenance and service costs of our XC40 have so far been about half of what we are used to with Audi and alike.

If you really like the XC40 car model, and if the price is right, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Whilst Den48 has reported no problems with his T3 manual there has been reports of premature clutch failure by other owners.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
skimm

Post by skimm »

I've had mine for 3 years (T5 twin engine) and here's my thoughts;
Electric issues, - entertainment system freezes
entertainment system does freeze, it's not the best but this is not ELECTRICAL issue - it's software. So far I've had ZERO electrical faults

Transmission - car jerks and acceleration is slow after shifting gears
Indeed occassionally the car jerks when pulling away but this typically is from stationary, not in higher gears. Also, not that annoying really once you get used to it

Brakes - Brakes has a spongy feeling and sometimes the brake booster needs replacing which is a very expensive part
Brakes being a bit funny, spongy or feeling like they change intensity even though you press the pedal the same is a known issue but it was fixed by a software upgrade quite some time ago. it's not as bad as it used to be.

Again, 3 year of ownership and I;ve had no real problem, no warranty repairs etc. No drop in battery range either. Touch wood it will continue that way
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Yunxc40 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:36 am I have been doing some research about common faults and I've read the following common faults on the 2020 - 21 models. I'm finding it difficult to comprehend that some of these faults are common with the car being 3 years old
XC40 was launched in 2017 with software and major mechanical parts such as engine, gearbox, AWD, brakes and suspension taken from the 2015 XC90 and 2016 XC60. The 2.0 l engine with 8 speed auto Aisin gearbox was already a consumer tested and fine tuned drivetrain, so was the Sensus software.

Faults you mention seem to have become more frequent from 2020 onwards for cars equipped with new and little tested technical solutions such as 3 cylinder 1.5 l engine, plug-in hybrid FWD with electrical motor in the 7 speed auto gearbox and ultimately, Android Automotive OS. It’s important also to remember how the pandemic breakout in early 2020 disrupted supply chain and production schedule creating additional problems for Volvo.

Today, most faults appear to be software related. Android Automotive OS is still in its infancy, but with each software update bugs are being squashed and as time goes by the car will become more and more reliable.