Buying a Xc40 2020

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Button333

Post by Button333 »

I have a 2020 XC40 and whilst still under warranty the clutch failed - I had just 31k on the clock. Volvo refused to provide a courtesy car until they had established it wasn't a warranty issue but couldn't provide a garage to look at it until November it failed on 30th September!!!!

Despite being a pensioner, living alone in rural Norfolk with no other means of transport they still refused me a car!

I was then asked to agree to pay approx £2k if the problem was found not to be a warranty issue. I agreed to this as was informed Volvo had experienced clutch issues! In addition I have been driving over 50 years and never experienced clutch problems!

Customer service was appalling no one returned calls - I chased and chased some more. Surprise, surprise Volvo say it is not a warranty issue, I'm £2k down, experienced car hire costs and great inconvenience.

My case is now with the Ombudsman.

I would be really interested to hear if others have experienced similar clutch problems.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I'm assuming it's a T3?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Sounds like the 3-cylinder T3 manual. Earlier posts on T3 engines problems suggest they were fitted with 180-degree half thrust bearings to the crankshaft and later ones fitted with 369-degree full thrust bearings; maybe having an half thrust bearing caused too much end-float and possibly premature clutch failures? Its always the same when a manual-clutch prematurely fails, the driving style is all to often blamed. When its an automatic this argument has no credence as driving style can't be blamed. Your only other solution is to have the vehicle independently inspected to identify if the failure was caused by a manufacturing fault. The AA may be able to advise on this, but it will add much expense if no fault is then found. Its appalling that customer service is treating you this way, after all, regardless who's at fault, its still a Volvo and you are still a valued customer, or should be??
Last edited by Deleted User 4737 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I think the uprated Full 360° over the 180° Half Thrust bearing is part of the T3 Garrett Turbo Charger not the Clutch Thrust bearing.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I've had one clutch in over 50 years of driving and that was in a well second-hand Morris Marina which I replaced myself.

There's been a number of premature clutch failures reported and it's always blamed on driving style. Trouble is the manufacturers are always judge and jury. Ideally you'd want your independent expert to be there when they strip it down but that's difficult.

Do they still have the parts for inspection?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Seem to remember earlier posts referring to problematic slave-cylinders too? Which I also seem to remember were oddly located within the bell-housing?