New Tyres

Post pictures of your Volvo XC40 here
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:30 am
Primacy 4 is no longer produced by Michelin
Correction: after doing some more research online, Michelin is still producing and offering Primacy 4. The tire seemed discontinued last year and replaced with Primacy 4 Plus, but now is back on various tire retailers price list.

StewartN

Post by StewartN »

Hi everyone, looking to replace my tyres next year. (Spring) Currently have Davanti Protura Sport on 245x40x21 these were on the car when I bought my T4 AWD, seem to perform well for what is classed as a UHP tyre ? Do not want to put All weather tyres on as these are not needed here on the Moray coast, I have read bad reports amount Continental brand recently.
Any recommendations gratefully received, I know premium tyres are around £350 each, I am a poor Scottish Pensioner 😀 says it all.
Stewart
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Personally, my default is Michelin or a good known brand. I don’t like Pirelli’s, have had Continental tyres on previous car and been happy with them, same with Goodyear, Dunlops we’re okay, but the setup of the car they were on ruined them - ended up sawtooth finish to the treads and very noisy.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

For 245/40 R21 size the multiple test winner Continental PremiumContact 6 could be an option. Continental’s latest Premium Contact 7 (not yet available in 245/40 R21) is also a top performer in this year’s tests. I wonder if those bad reports you read were for Continental EcoContact.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

The Continental eco contacts I had were noisy and handling was vague. I've had various Continental Tyres over the years and had a number of costly sidewall bulges, including those on my last XC40. Personally I hate them!

My current XC40 with 20" rims came with Pirelli PZ4s. 2.5k miles and so far I'm impressed. They're quiet, smooth and reasonably responsive. There is a Volvo specific compound too, denoted by VOL on the sidewall.

If I were replacing them Michelin would likely be my first choice.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Happy with the michelin primacy 4 VOL that were standard fitment on my XC.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
gedger

Post by gedger »

I just had a nose on Blackcircles to see how much tyres cost now and noticed that there are 2 versions of the cross climate, one has the designed for Volvo tag and costs £15 more for 19inch rims. The only difference I can see is the fuel consumption is A rated on the Volvo designated type and rated C on the standard. Tread looks identical so must be the compound?

Edit. Also missed the standard tyre is marked as SUV and 4x4 whatever difference that makes?
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
percymon

Post by percymon »

StewartN wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm Hi everyone, looking to replace my tyres next year. (Spring) Currently have Davanti Protura Sport on 245x40x21 these were on the car when I bought my T4 AWD, seem to perform well for what is classed as a UHP tyre ? Do not want to put All weather tyres on as these are not needed here on the Moray coast, I have read bad reports amount Continental brand recently.
Any recommendations gratefully received, I know premium tyres are around £350 each, I am a poor Scottish Pensioner 😀 says it all.
Stewart
Davanti wouldnt be my choice, even if i was strapped for cash.

Given your location I'd consider Uniroyal Rainsport as they will cope well with warm, cooler and wet conditions. Tend to be about 20-30% cheaper than Contis. Your choice will be limited by tyres size.

The Pirelli PZeros on my C40 seem OK, but i wouldnt rave about them; but then again its hardly a sports car so no chance of high levels of steering response or cornering grip.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gedger wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:12 am I just had a nose on Blackcircles to see how much tyres cost now and noticed that there are 2 versions of the cross climate, one has the designed for Volvo tag and costs £15 more for 19inch rims. The only difference I can see is the fuel consumption is A rated on the Volvo designated type and rated C on the standard. Tread looks identical so must be the compound? Also missed the standard tyre is marked as SUV and 4x4 whatever difference that makes?
The difference is made by the compound. The SUV version is available in bigger sizes with higher load index and also lower speed index. The VOL version (approved by Volvo) achieves A rating for fuel consumption only on a specific size, load and speed index. For example, the same CrossClimate 2 tire could have different ratings for H (130 mph) and for V (150 mph), see the below from Michelin. It’s worth noting that a lower speed index will offer a somewhat softer ride.

IMG_0004.jpg

Bradders

Post by Bradders »

I've just put Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 SUV on my B4. They're better in virtually every way to the Conti EcoContacts. Quieter, way better ride and more assured on the road. I can't detect any difference in fuel economy.
T3 R-Design, Fusion Red, Early 21 (hers). Fully loaded.
B4 Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Late 23 (mine).