Best wall box for xc40 recharge

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
rjod57

Post by rjod57 »

Hi all
Just wondering what wall box you use to charge your Volvo at home.
There are so many on the market that its a bit of a minefield deciding which is best.
Some have fancy apps for Scheduling your charge for lower prices at off peak times etc.etc etc
Does the Volvo app do this?
Would you do the Scheduling on the volvo app or the wall box app?
Will the car 'talk' to some wall boxes and stop the charge at say 80% or does the car stop accepting a charge at the percentage level you have set.
Many thanks for any recommendations you can make

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

We have an Andersen EV wallbox. Looks good and allows you to schedule multiple charge times. Useful on some of the economy 7 tariffs where the low cost is split over 2 periods.
The Volvo app and the centre console in the car both allow scheduling but only for one time period. The app is a bit hit and miss but the centre console works well. The centre console allows you to throttle back the power input - useful if charging off excess solar. We tend to do the scheduling on the wallbox app but over the past few weeks have just been using excess solar during the daytime.
The car allows you to set a maximum charge percentage in 10 percent increments. It will stop the charge once the preset level is reached.
If you plan on switching to an Octopus Intelligent tariff then you will need a wallbox that is compatible as the car itself is not.
Hope that helps.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

A mate at work (well 2 actually, but one owns a leaf) have the pod point chargers and have been happy with them. The lad that has the Volvo, has Octopus split tariff and successfully charges up the Volvo between 12-4am when it's needed.
pills

Post by pills »

I've got a Myenergi Zappi. Currently this is not compatible with Octopus intelligent but does allow good integration with my solar / battery set up, something to consider if you're thinking of either solar and/or batteries in the future.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus because it looks super neat. I was offered a Zappi which is great if you have solar but it really is an ugly thing

If however you intend to go with something like Intelligent Octopus, check on their website as they only support a small number of chargers. I only use Octopus Go so the timers on mine are ideal.

IMG_1809.jpeg

XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
percymon

Post by percymon »

I am using a PodPoint 7kW that was installed back in 2017 when i bought a Leaf - its basic but does what i need it to. There's no telemetry which isnt a bad thing , but on the downside it also doesnt have charging scheduling.

the XC/C40 will allow you to set one time slot via the charging setting in the centre console or the app.

At present i'm on a fixed single rate tariff (17p/kW) until sept 2024 - after that my charger/car will limit my choices of tariff but i'll consider a charger upgrade if the off-peak savings are worth it. By then i suspect that the EV tariffs on offer will have time periods at the lower price so short that it'll be of little financial gain
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

I’d make sure it’s compatible with Octopus Intelligence if in UK
There’s a list on their website
Taylor354

Post by Taylor354 »

I have a Simpson and Partners charger installed. It looks good on the wall and has a fair amount of functionality. It's not supported by intelligent Octopus, but I'm on Agile and the charger itself can hook into the Octopus Agile rates. It will pick the cheapest 8 hours of a day and charge then if the car is plugged in.