Bad Dealer Experience

The place to discuss everything else..
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

My daughter bought an XC60 a couple of years back but had an issue with the way the deal was presented to her. She wanted to be able to buy the car at the end of the loan, she told the salesman this, but he pushed her to a lease. Fortunately for her when she asked in an email to confirm the difference between lease and PCP the salesman replied, 'just the price'.

So a few years later and the dealership admitted she was miss sold and around a month back she agreed a deal trading in against an XC40. They offered her a stock car, in blue, which wasn't her favourite colour but was available. So fast forward to this week, she's been chasing progress, and was supposed to collect it this week.

After pushing hard she was then told 'it's at a port, somewhere, or might not yet be built" When she told them she'd ordered from stock there was panic!

It has now turned out, two dealerships placed the order against the stock vehicle, the other dealership cancelled the order from her dealership, but never informed them. They've now told her it will have to be built for her. This she's hit the roof over as she doesn't want to continue paying the higher lease cost on the XC60 so she's told them to find her a white one as that's her preferred colour anyway. Current state of play she's waiting to hear back!

You couldn't make it up! I'm not naming the dealer for now, I don't want to risk screwing up the position she's in.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

Apricity

Post by Apricity »

Watford?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Actually no, but home counties yes..
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Beware! As of 13June Volvo are moving to the Agency Sales model whereby all new cars are sold direct to consumer by the manufacturer. Online price is the price. No dealer discounts. Preexisting orders will be honoured. So get the deal done!
Having said that Volvo have slipped the date for the move a few times already...
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

As I asked on another thread, do you guys think that they are shooting themselves in the foot with this take it or leave it attitude? As I said the discounts made it worthwhile for me.

Or are Volvo going to reduce their prices!!! :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am

Volvo is going the Tesla way, so why not? Online sales, no dealer discounts, minimum optional equipment to add on set trims, heck, even their latest car has a Tesla interior with no driver display :roll:

m@rk made a good point on manufacturing viewtopic.php?p=35202#p35202 and if sales won’t fly as per forecast, price reduction might soon follow. Same as Tesla did with Model 3 couple of weeks ago.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Oh, year forgot about that awful Teslaesque interior!

Had to smile when reading about Volvos justification for putting their EVs online only. They say it will give the customers the comfort of having everything paid for if it goes wrong. Isn't that what warranty and breakdown assist does now? And servicing and repairs are included, are they free then!

Buying online has attractions but only if the price is competitive. The fact that good discounts could be had shows that the cars were overpriced. And saying that some folks dont like to negotiate is true, but no worry if you use the likes of Carwow and a better deal is likely to be had.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am As I asked on another thread, do you guys think that they are shooting themselves in the foot with this take it or leave it attitude? As I said the discounts made it worthwhile for me.

And in addition to mentioned above, Mercedes are pushing this 1 price online or in dealership (being widely advertised on TV).
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I suppose on the positive side manufacturers are going to have to be transparent about their on the road prices as in theory it should be easier to compare prices without having to take into account discounts, manufacturer contributions and the like and therefore they will have to be competitive otherwise they risk being out of the running at the first hurdle when folks are comparing different cars and specs they are interested in. Will be interesting to see how much they ask for the XC40 Plus from when discounts were available.

From a Google search it seems that 2030 is when non-EV cars will be online? There won't be any non-EV Volvos then anyway (!) and I thought the change to online was supposed to be imminent? Maybe I might be able to squeeze another Volvo in!

Will see how it all pans out.

percymon

Post by percymon »

Felindre wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:28 pm My daughter bought an XC60 a couple of years back but had an issue with the way the deal was presented to her. She wanted to be able to buy the car at the end of the loan, she told the salesman this, but he pushed her to a lease. Fortunately for her when she asked in an email to confirm the difference between lease and PCP the salesman replied, 'just the price'.

So a few years later and the dealership admitted she was miss sold and around a month back she agreed a deal trading in against an XC40. They offered her a stock car, in blue, which wasn't her favourite colour but was available. So fast forward to this week, she's been chasing progress, and was supposed to collect it this week.

After pushing hard she was then told 'it's at a port, somewhere, or might not yet be built" When she told them she'd ordered from stock there was panic!

It has now turned out, two dealerships placed the order against the stock vehicle, the other dealership cancelled the order from her dealership, but never informed them. They've now told her it will have to be built for her. This she's hit the roof over as she doesn't want to continue paying the higher lease cost on the XC60 so she's told them to find her a white one as that's her preferred colour anyway. Current state of play she's waiting to hear back!

You couldn't make it up! I'm not naming the dealer for now, I don't want to risk screwing up the position she's in.
Pretty dreadful state of affairs - if the dealer offered a stock car with a certain leadtime , then they should honour that - perhaps they could take the XC60 in at the agreed time and provide a courtesy car ?

If not perhaps its time to walk away, or find another dealer. Dealers are lazy, gone are the days where they'd look across the country for suitable vehicle stock, orders that they could trade between outlets.

I assume you have checked the Volvo website for 'stock' vehicles, all supposedly available within 4 weeks ? https://www.volvocars.com/uk/shop/xc40/ ... ty=inStock